Information for Nursing Leadership/Staff Nurse Mentors
It is an expectation that all instructors and students will read their Michigan Medicine
Outlook email weekly. Important updates and new information are communicated in this manner.
Please click on the tabs below for information on student placements at Michigan Medicine.
Information for Unit Staff
- All undergraduate nursing student clinical placement requests must be submitted centrally to the Clinical Placement Office in the Department of Professional Development and Education
- Individual school of nursing instructors are not permitted to negotiate directly with managers or unit staff for undergraduate nursing student placements within UMHHC (including observational experiences or unit visits). Placements negotiated in this manner will be considered null and void.
- UM School of Nursing Ann Arbor requests will receive first priority for all placements within the Health System.
- It is the expectation of our partnership with the UM School of Nursing that all nursing units/areas within UMHHC will participate in clinical education by accepting undergraduate nursing students.
- Exceptions from taking undergraduate nursing students, and/or markedly reducing the number of students taken, will be considered on a case by case basis by the Clinical Placement Office in discussion with unit leadership and the unit director.
- All school of nursing instructors will orient to their clinical placement area prior to the start of the clinical rotation. Instructors will contact the clinical area two to three weeks prior to their start date to arrange the orientation.
- If new to the clinical area, orientation may be 3-4 days in duration, as determined by the unit/area leadership.
- If returning to a clinical area, instructors should expect to shadow for 3-4 hours to review unit/area changes and updates.
- At the end of each term, instructors will meet with the unit/area leadership to evaluate the placement experience.
- Students are required to complete all assigned institutional requirements and documentation system training prior to their first clinical day on their assigned unit or area
Internal link; accessible via
Michigan Medicine Network or VPN only:
New Policy for Student Placements: Assignment of Undergraduate Student Nurse Clinical Placements within the University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers
Learning experiences may be provided for individuals at the unit level by following the Visiting Observer Policy:
Internal link; accessible via
|Visiting Observer: For the Individual Who May Observe But Not Provide Patient Care|
The HIPPA and Code of Conduct Statements are embedded in the policy. All paperwork is kept at the unit level.
Professional Development and Education
300 N. Ingalls Suite NI6B12
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5436
Mary Anne V. Brancheau, BSN, RN-BC
Educational Nurse Coordinator
Lead Nursing Student Clinical Placement Coordinator
April Stingo, BS
Nursing Student Clinical Placement Coordinator