School of Nursing Placement Coordinators
It is the responsibility of the school coordinator to make certain all instructors and students are familiar with our UMHS Clinical Placement website to find information and know how to contact us with questions regarding onboarding.
Please click on the steps below to read detailed information on the process that must be followed to obtain a clinical placement at UMHS.
Steps for Obtaining Student Placements at the University of Michigan Health System (UMHS) if an affiliation agreement is currently in place:
All clinical placement requests must be submitted through ACEMAPP, the Alliance for Clinical Experience Matching and Placement Program, through the Michigan Health Council. If you are not currently a member of ACEMAPP, you will need to register as a guest in order to submit requests and student information. You may contact ACEMAPP through Customer Support on the ACEMAPP website https://michigan.acemapp.org/ or by contacting Rachel Bunnell, the ACEMAPP Coordinator, directly at Rachel.Bunnell@mhc.org.
All students participating in a clinical placement at UMHS must enroll in ACEMAPP for tracking of compliance requirements. These include required immunizations, Flu vaccine, TB screening, BLS certification, Background Checks and Drug Screens.
Requests for observational experiences for undergraduate students already placed in a rotation must also be submitted through ACEMAPP.
PLEASE NOTE: All placement requests must be coordinated through the UMHS Clinical Placement Office and ACEMAPP in order to ensure a consistent process. Students and instructors are asked not to approach staff directly to inquire about cohort group or observational placements. This will ensure fair outcomes in a highly competitive process and provide increased satisfaction for all.
Graduate Students: Graduate nursing student placements at UMHS are determined by the individual practitioners and requests should be directed to the APRN or physician that the student is interested in working with. The Clinical Placement Office does not assist in this aspect. Further, we are unable to accommodate any shadow or observational experience requests for graduate students.
Due to the increasing number of students in the UM School of Nursing undergraduate and graduate programs (both in Ann Arbor and Flint) and our own employees attending nursing programs, we are no longer able to accommodate single student requests from external schools unless they are UMHS employees.
The following graduate students will be accommodated at UMHS in this priority order:
- U of M School of Nursing Ann Arbor students
- U of M School of Nursing Flint students
- UMHS employees who attend external schools
All placement requests follow the ACEMAPP timelines.
All student and instructor names must be submitted each term through the UMHS Identity Registration System (IRS). If you do not have access to our IRS, please call April or Mary Anne (phone numbers located at bottom of this page) to provide the information needed to process your logins.
Student and instructor information must be submitted at least 3 weeks prior to the start of the term. This will ensure adequate time for our Health Information Technology & Services (H.I.T.S.) to process computer logins and enable students to complete documentation training prior to the start of their clinical session. All graduate students will be able to provide you with their uniqname and UMID so that you will NOT be required to use their SSN.
IRS upload due dates will be posted each semester on our website calendar and a reminder email sent by email@example.com.
If a student or instructor withdraws from their practicum for any reason, they must be deleted from the IRS immediately in accordance with our UMHS Compliance Policy. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the student or instructor's name, DOB and course number.
PLEASE NOTE: If there is a need to extend a student or instructor's account beyond the current semester's end date, the request must be made to email@example.com at least one week prior to the account expiration date. Once the account expires for the term, accounts will not be recreated. Please submit the reason for the extension, the course number, the new requested end date, the student or instructor's name, uniqname and UM identification number.
- UMSN instructors and students will receive an email from Identity_Management@med.umich.edu. They will be given a link and instructed to follow the steps on-screen to set their passwords at the LEVEL-2 PASSWORD SET page. This email will be sent to their umich.edu email account at least 2 to 3 weeks prior to the start of their practicum.
- Non-UM instructors and students will receive an email from Identity_Management@med.umich.edu. They will be given a link and instructed to follow the steps on-screen to set their passwords at the LEVEL-2 PASSWORD SET page. This email will be sent to the student's email account given to us in your IRS upload at least 2 to 3 weeks prior to the start of their practicum.
- Undergraduate instructors must contact the unit student liaison a minimum of 3 weeks before the clinical placement begins to request an orientation to the unit. If the instructor is new, he/she should anticipate this can be up to 3-4 days on the unit. If the instructor is returning to the unit, he/she should plan to shadow for 3-4 hours to review unit changes. The instuctor should email firstname.lastname@example.org for the name and email address of the unit liaison.
- Undergraduate instructors should plan to discuss with the unit student liaison how student assignments on the unit will be determined each clinical session and the time the students should arrive for report each clinical day.
- Undergraduate instructors (and graduate students) will be asked to provide a copy of the student expectations, course objectives, and course syllabus to the student liaison or preceptor.
- Undergraduate instructors new to UMHS must contact email@example.com to schedule a new faculty orientation session with the Clinical Placement Office prior to the start of their clinical session.
- At the end of each term, it is an expectation that instructors will meet with the unit/area leadership to evaluate the placement experience.
Each clinical nursing student and instructor at UMHS must complete a group of institutional requirements prior to the start of their clinical practicum. Required learning activities include training to the electronic health record (MiChart) in MLearning and institutional requirements in ACEMAPP.
MiChart Training Requirements
- All required MiChart training will be found in MLearning on the student's Learning Plan
- All clinical instructors in the inpatient/ICU setting must complete the unit RN MiChart training requirement. This will include eLearning modules in MLearning plus 2 days of classroom training. UMSN instructors should contact UMSN-UndergradClinicalPlacement@med.umich.edu to schedule their course. Non-UM instructors should contact April Stingo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-615-6910 to schedule their course. This is a one-time training requirement unless the instructor has been away from UMHS for multiple years.
- Student MiChart training will vary by student type and location and will automatically be pushed out to their Learning Plans in MLearning.
- To access MLearning, instructors and students should go to https://trainingportal.med.umich.edu and login with their username and Level 2 password.
Consist of a set of online learning activities required by regulatory agencies, such as the Joint Commission, or as required by UMHS policy. These must be completed in ACEMAPP by all students.
- Graduate students who are current UMHS RNs, and are up-to-date with UMHS institutional requirements in MLearning, do not need to complete them in ACEMAPP.
- Undergraduate students who are current employees must complete all requirements within ACEMAPP. Nursing students are required to complete a different set of institutional requirements than non-RN employees.
PLEASE NOTE: All institutional requirements must be completed prior to the first clinical day on the unit and will be monitored through ACEMAPP (along with compliance requirements). Nursing students and clinical nursing instructors who do not comply with the requirements will not be permitted in the clinical setting.
Professional Development and Education
University of Michigan Health System
300 N. Ingalls Suite NI6B12
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5436
Mary Anne V. Brancheau, BSN, RN-BC
Educational Nurse Coordinator
Nursing Student Clinical Placement Coordinator
April Stingo, BS
Nursing Student Clinical Placement Coordinator and Web Designer/Developer