If you are an undergraduate student looking for a clinical placement at UMHS, please see the Prospective Student page. Please be aware that all placements within UMHS must be coordinated through the Clinical Placement Office.
It is an expectation that all students will read their UMHS Outlook email weekly.
Important updates and new information are communicated in this manner.
For cohort group students, please click on the steps below to read detailed information on the process that must be followed at the start of each term.
All students with a clinical placement at UMHS will be granted access to our computer systems based on your placement location and the specifications of your role within UMHS.
Medical Campus IT processes the access needed for all students. You will receive an email from Identity_Management@med.umich.edu 2-3 weeks prior to your clinical start date. This will be sent to the email address your school provided to us. In the email from Identity Management,you will be given a link and step-by-step instructions to set your password(s).
If you are a UMHS employee, no change will occur to your uniqname/username or passwords, but you will be granted access to any new systems required for your practicum (pending completion of any required training).
Please be certain to validate access code (uniqname/username and password) functionality before beginning clinical hours if you are new to UMHS. If there are any issues with IDs or passwords, please contact the MCIT Service Desk at 734-936-8000.
The Omnicell medication cabinet no longer requires a separate Omnicell password. Level 2 passwords will be used to access the Omnicell cabinet. Your instructor will then assist you with your Bio-ID (fingerprint) enrollment.
Each clinical nursing student at UMHS must complete a group of institutional requirements prior to the start of your clinical practicum. Required learning activities include training to the electronic health record (MiChart) in MLearning and institutional requirements in ACEMAPP.
MiChart Training Requirements
- Undergraduate students in the inpatient/ICU setting will complete eLearning modules in MLearning to satisfy their MiChart training requirement.
- Undergraduate students in OB, the PACUs, ED or ambulatory care must complete classroom training to satisfy their MiChart training requirement. The classes will be scheduled by UMSN and the Clinical Placement Office.
- Undergraduate students who need access to MiChart in order to view data must complete a Clinical View Only eLearning activity. This includes students at MVN for Community Health and students in Leadership placements.
- PLEASE NOTE: A MiChart Upgrade will occur on 10/8/16. All MiChart users are required to complete a short training module to prepare for the Go-Live.
- Students and instructors who completed MiChart in the past should receive the module the week of 8/22.
- Students and instructors who are new to UMHS will receive the module after they complete their MiChart certification.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are an employee at UMHS who currently uses Michart, you will have a dual account in MiChart. You must choose which role you’re functioning in upon login, which will allow you to access all pertinent tools for that role. Please see the MiChart Tip Sheet entitled “MiChart Account Manager-For Users with Multiple Accounts” on the MiChart website for complete instructions. You should also receive this information in an email from MiChart Security when the new role is created for you.
For any issues or questions related to MLearning, please email MLearning at email@example.com for assistance.
Internal link; accessible via UMHS Network or VPN only:
Institutional requirements consist of a set of online learning activities required by regulatory agencies, such as the Joint Commission, or as required by UMHS policy. These must be completed in ACEMAPP. Please review the Institutional Requirement List to verify what must be completed. Your ability to begin your clinical hours may be delayed if these requirements are not complete prior to your start date.
Please be sure to go to our Resources page to find important information about topics such as Health System ID badges, parking, reference materials, and policies/guidelines.
Professional Development and Education
University of Michigan Health System
300 N. Ingalls Suite NI6B12
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5436
Mary Anne V. Brancheau, BSN, RN-BC
Educational Nurse Coordinator
Nursing Student Clinical Placement Coordinator
April Stingo, BS
Nursing Student Clinical Placement Coordinator and Web Designer/Developer