If you are an undergraduate student looking for a clinical placement at UMHS, please see the Prospective Student page. Please be aware that all placements within UMHS must be coordinated through the Clinical Placement Office.
It is an expectation that all students will read their UMHS Outlook email weekly.
Important updates and new information are communicated in this manner.
For cohort group students, please click on the steps below to read detailed information on the process that must be followed at the start of each term.
All students with a clinical placement at UMHS will be granted access to our computer systems based on the placement location and the specifications of your role within UMHS.
Please be certain to validate access code (uniqname or user ID and password) functionality before beginning clinical hours. If there are any issues with IDs or passwords, please contact the MCIT Service Desk at 734-936-8000.
Computer Access Information will be distributed as follows:
Students and instructors will receive an email from Identity_Management@med.umich.edu with a link
to the LEVEL-2 PASSWORD SET page. page. Step-by-step instructions will walk you through the process of creating your password(s).
- UM students: please watch for this email to your umich.edu email account at least 2-3 weeks before the start of your practicum.
- Non-UM students: please watch for this email to the email address submitted to us by your school of nursing at least 2-3 weeks before the start of your practicum.
- Passwords for the OmniCell Medication Cabinet: All new passwords will be sent to your UMHS Microsoft Outlook email account with instructions. If you have received an OmniCell password in the past, you will NOT receive a new one. You must reset your old password. Please see the Resources page for complete instructions on how to login to the OmniCell. NOTE: The OmniCell information is an internal link and can only be accessed from within UMHS .
Each clinical nursing student at UMHS must complete a group of institutional requirements prior to the start of your clinical practicum. Required learning activities include training to the electronic health record (MiChart) in MLearning and institutional requirements in ACEMAPP.
MiChart Training Requirements
- Undergraduate students in the inpatient/ICU setting will complete eLearning modules in MLearning to satisfy their MiChart training requirement.
- Undergraduate students in OB, the PACUs, ED or ambulatory care must complete classroom training to satisfy their MiChart training requirement. The classes will be scheduled by UMSN and the Clinical Placement Office.
- Undergraduate students who need access to MiChart in order to view data must complete a Clinical View Only eLearning activity. This includes students at MVN for Community Health and students in Leadership placements.
- To access MLearning, go to https://trainingportal.med.umich.edu and log in with your Username and Level 2 Password. MLearning works best in the Chrome browser.
- Access to the documentation system will only be granted after successful completion of all training, including required quizzes.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are an employee at UMHS who currently uses Michart, you will have a dual account in MiChart. You must choose which role you’re functioning in upon login, which will allow you to access all pertinent tools for that role. Please see the MiChart Tip Sheet entitled “MiChart Account Manager-For Users with Multiple Accounts” on the MiChart website for complete instructions. You should also receive this information in an email from MiChart Security when the new role is created for you.
For any issues or questions related to MLearning, please email MLearning at email@example.com for assistance.
Internal link; accessible via UMHS Network or VPN only:
Institutional requirements consist of a set of online learning activities required by regulatory agencies, such as the Joint Commission, or as required by UMHS policy. These must be completed in ACEMAPP. Please review the Institutional Requirement List to verify what must be completed. Your ability to begin your clinical hours may be delayed if these requirements are not complete prior to your start date.
Please be sure to go to our Resources page to find important information about topics such as Health System ID badges, parking, reference materials, and policies/guidelines.
Professional Development and Education
University of Michigan Health System
300 N. Ingalls Suite NI6B12
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5436
Mary Anne V. Brancheau, BSN, RN-BC
Educational Nurse Coordinator
Nursing Student Clinical Placement Coordinator
April Stingo, BS
Nursing Student Clinical Placement Coordinator and Web Designer/Developer