UMHS Nursing Student Clinical Placement
Welcome to the Clinical Placement Website! We are certain that students
will find their experience at the University of Michigan Health System
(UMHS) both enriching and rewarding as they progress toward their career as
a RN or APRN. This website is intended to provide information and streamline
the clinical placement process for both students and instructors.
For more information regarding placements and compliance requirements,
please read this page and click on the buttons below or navigate our website
on the left.
The Clinical Placement Office at the University of Michigan Health System (UMHS) coordinates all student nurse placements within inpatient and ambulatory care areas. We determine all undergraduate student placement locations, while graduate student placements are determined by the individual UMHS practitioners. The Clinical Placement Office also makes certain that all compliance requirements are met prior to placement accommodation.
All student training between UMHS and non-UM schools of nursing require an affiliation agreement. Only a UMHS-approved affiliation agreement template is used. Minor changes may be requested by the school of nursing (SON) for consideration, but substantive changes will not be accepted. In addition, only certain individuals are authorized to negotiate and execute affiliation agreements on behalf of UMHS. As such, all affiliation agreements will originate from our UMHS Contracting Office. Please see the required information needed to begin the process.
UMHS Placement Guidelines
All placement requests must be coordinated through the UMHS Clinical Placement Office in order to ensure a consistent process. Students and instructors are asked not to approach staff directly to inquire about cohort group or observational placements. This will ensure fair outcomes in a highly competitive process and provide increased satisfaction for all.
- All student placement requests must be submitted by the SON through ACEMAPP.
- The maximum number of students in any cohort group is eight (8).
- Due to the increasing number of students in the UM School of Nursing undergraduate and graduate programs (both in Ann Arbor and Flint), and our own employees attending nursing programs, we are no longer able to accommodate individual student requests from external schools unless the student is a UMHS employee.
Deadlines for Placement
- All placement requests follow the ACEMAPP timelines.
- Student and instructor names must be “uploaded” into our Identity Registration System (IRS) for processing of access to our Health System.
- IRS upload due dates will be posted each semester on our website calendar and a reminder email sent by firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE: A minimum of 5-7 business days is required for processing of logins and Health System access for students and instructors by Medical Center IT (MCIT) and other departments throughout the Health System (i.e. Key/ID Office, Parking, MiChart Security). Please be aware that when students or instructors are uploaded late and processed individually (rather than with the batch upload), there may be delays or errors in the access they receive.
It is the responsibility of the school of nursing placement coordinator to make certain all instructors and students are familiar with our website to find information and know how to contact us with questions regarding onboarding.
Professional Development and Education
University of Michigan Health System
300 N. Ingalls Suite NI6B12
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5436
Mary Anne V. Brancheau, BSN, RN-BC
Educational Nurse Coordinator
Nursing Student Clinical Placement Coordinator
April Stingo, BS
Nursing Student Clinical Placement Coordinator and Web Designer/Developer