- You must be graduating either May 2016 or December 2015
- Your GPA should be at least 3.0
- See the complete REQUIREMENTS page for more information
- Program Dates for 2015: forthcoming
- Selected Externs must commit to all program dates. There are NO exceptions to this rule.
The University of Michigan Student Nurse Extern Program is a work/study experience, which focuses on the utilization of the nursing process to meet the bio/psycho/social needs of the patient with real or potential life threatening health problems.The program consists of ten weeks of concentrated time spent on a selected unit, under the direct supervision of a RN preceptor. It is a unique experience that allows students to function in a nursing role in a safe and supportive environment.
The Student Nurse Extern Program offers the participants an exceptional opportunity to develop their nursing skills. The didactic portion of the program is concentrated during the first two weeks of the program. Students who are selected for this program must be prepared for a full 36-40 hour commitment per week (over 360 total hours of clinical work).
- Please confirm with your unit
- Call or email your unit to find out about the dress code
- Check the UMHS Dress policy (internal site; accessible only from UMHS campus)
- You are not required to work during the holidays (Memorial Day and Independence Day)
- If you need to request a specific day off, please check with your preceptor and Program Coordinator and consideration will be given to your request.
- You are expected to attend the entire 10 week program and to follow your preceptor's schedule.
Helpful Links and Phone Numbers
- Occupational Heatlh (MHealthy): 734-764-8021
- KEY ID office: 734-763-6376
- University of Michigan Parking office: 734-764-8291
- MCIT ( UH technical support including level 1 and 2 password reset): 734-936-8000 (on campus or UH please dial 6-8000)
- Payroll for check and tax questions: : 734-615-2000 or 5-2000 on campus. Choose Option 2
- UMHS Paging services: 936-4000 - paging operator assistance
- MLearning: 734-615-5146
- UM Campus Information Center
- Housing Information
- Ann Arbor Transportation Authority Bus System
- Contact Externship Team (Externship@med.umich.edu)
- Mary Anne V. Brancheau, B.S.N., R.N., Educational Nurse Coordinator, Nurse Externship Program & Clinical Placement Coordinator, Professional Development & Education
- Mark Erber, M.S.N., RN, Staff Specialist, Professional Development and Education
- Irene Knokh, M.A., M.Ed., Instructional Design Consultant, Nurse Extern Program and Professional Development & Education
- Betty Tecco, M.S.N., R.N., Externship Program Coordinator, Retired Lecturer, UM School of Nursing