This program is only for students in a traditional BSN track. For job opportunities please check out the Nursing Careers website.
The University of Michigan Student Nurse Extern Program is a work/study experience, which focuses on the utilization of the nursing process to meet the bio/psycho/social needs of the patient with real or potential life threatening health problems. The program consists of nine weeks of concentrated time spent on a selected unit under the direct supervision of a RN preceptor. It is a unique experience that allows BSN students to function in a nursing role in a safe and supportive environment.
The Student Nurse Extern Program offers the participants an exceptional opportunity to develop their nursing skills. The didactic portion of the program is concentrated in the first week. Students who are selected for this program must be prepared for a full 36-40 hour commitment per week (approximately 360 total hours of clinical work).
Program Dates for 2016 (mandatory attendance): Monday, May 16-Friday, July 22
ALL CANDIDATES are already selected for the in person interviews.
300 North Ingalls, room 6B06, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
- February 12-Adult ICU
- February 19-Adult MedSurg
- February 26-Pediatrics
- Prospective externs: Contact Externship Team (Externship@med.umich.edu)
- Mary Anne V. Brancheau, B.S.N., R.N-BC., Educational Nurse Coordinator, Nurse Externship Program & Clinical Placement Coordinator, Professional Development & Education
- Mark Erber, M.S.N., RN, Staff Specialist, Professional Development and Education
- Irene Knokh, M.A., M.Ed., Instructional Design Consultant; Nurse Extern Program Coordinator, Professional Development & Education