Welcome to Housing Bureau for Seniors
Please Note: In order to help prevent the spread of Novel Coronavirus, the HBS team is working remotely. We are still able to provide the same level of services to the older adults we serve. We continue to monitor and respond to voicemails and emails daily. Please contact us at (734) 998-9339 so we can assist with any challenges relating to housing for older adults. This message will be updated as the situation changes. Developing information regarding COVID-19 can be found through the Washtenaw County Health Department, Michigan Medicine, and the CDC.
COVID-19 Resource List
- COVID-19 State of Michigan Resource List
- COVID-19 Livingston County Resource List
- COVID-19 Washtenaw County Resource List
The Housing Bureau for Seniors works throughout Washtenaw County to enable and assist older adults with seeking and maintaining appropriate and affordable living arrangements.
The HBS is a place where people, 55 and older, can find answers to questions about housing and care options for themselves and for aging friends, parents, and other relatives. We provide community support for seniors and caregivers seeking advice or information on planning ahead, making transitions or handling a crisis. We can put you in touch with a comprehensive network of programs and services so that you can obtain the help you need.
We understand that the multitude of housing and health care options available to seniors can be confusing and overwhelming. What assistance do you qualify for? How much will it cost to stay in your home? Is moving to a facility with 24-hour support the right choice, or should you hire live-in support? Can you remain in your neighborhood? What about access to transportation? How can you budget for future needs? Considerations range from affordability to practical matters to personal priorities.We understand.
What we do
- Give seniors, caregivers and family members support and access to the resources they need.
- Help to prevent homelessness among seniors who live in rental properties through our Elderly Eviction Prevention program.
- Provide one-on-one assistance to more than 1,000 individuals annually, and reach countless others through community events, open houses, exhibits, educational programs and other outreach efforts.
- Help find ways for seniors to stay in their homes with programs like HomeShare.
- Offer decision making tools to assess options such as staying in your home or moving to a senior setting with or without care through our Housing Counseling.
- Look at the total financial and personal situation to prevent homelessness through our Foreclosure Prevention.