Resources for teens and their parents
- Keeping your Cool Under Prom Pressure from Kidshealth.org, has lots of great advice for making prom special on a budget, feeling good about yourself, and having a healthy and safe prom experience.
- Prom Pressure: Is Sex Part of the Magic?, from SEX, ETC., which is an award-winning website written by and for teens, on teen sexual health issues. SEX, ETC. is based at the Center for Applied Psychology at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.
- Prom Season: What LGBTQ Youth Need to Know: eight questions and answers about your rights at prom, from Lambda Legal. Also available: Prom Q&A in Spanish
- MADD, which aims to stop drunk driving, support the victims of drunk driving, and prevent underage drinking, offers these resources:
- Mixed Messages: Kids need straight talk to stay safe at prom, graduation, an op-ed on the SADD website.A school psychologist and adolescent counselor talks about the role parents should play.
- For Parents: De-Stressing the Prom, with practical tips for how to arrange with your teen for a safe evening of fun. The advice here applies throughout the year.
- See also: YourChild: Motor Vehicle Safety: Teen Drivers
Compiled by Kyla Boyse, R.N Reviewed by faculty and staff at the University of Michigan
Updated May 2009
U-M Health System Related Sites: