- Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a gas that you can’t see or smell. It is produced when any kind of fuel is burned. Symptoms of moderate CO poisoning are: headaches, dizziness, confusion, nausea, and faintness. CO can kill you. If you suspect CO in your house may be making you sick, get fresh air right away, and go immediately to the emergency room and get your blood tested—this can confirm that you have CO in your house. Prevent CO poisoning by having your fuel-burning appliances like heaters checked by a trained professional every fall. Install a CO alarm. Find out more in this video.
- Radon is another colorless, odorless gas. It can seep into your home from the ground, and it increases risks of lung cancer. Testing for radon is easy and inexpensive. Call your local health department for more information.
- More on Indoor Air Quality can be found in this guide from the EPA. It includes information on biological contaminants, stoves, heaters, fireplaces, and chimneys, household products, formaldehyde, pesticides, asbestos, carpets, new homes, and sick building syndrome.
- Environmental tobacco smoke is also dangerous to your child. Don’t smoke during pregnancy or around your child.
Compiled by Kyla Boyse, RN. Reviewed by faculty and staff at the University of Michigan
Updated November 2012