Frequently Asked Questions
Applying to Volunteer
- How do I register to volunteer at Michigan Medicine? Attend an Information Session
- I am a first semester freshman. Can I volunteer? First semester freshmen are not eligible to volunteer.
- Is there minimum age limit to volunteer? You must be over 16 years of age to volunteer.
- I am in high school. Can I volunteer? Yes! Volunteer Services runs a Teen Volunteer Program in the Summer only. You must be 16 years of age by June 15 to be eligible. For further information, click here.
Registering as a Volunteer
- How do I schedule an Interview? You must attend an Information Session where you will schedule your Interview Appointment.
- What do I need to bring to my Interview Appointment? Please refer to the Volunteer Interview Checklist.
- What are the volunteer requirements? Most placements require a minimum of 2-4 hrs per week, and a commitment of serving for 2 semesters (for students) or 6 months (for community members). The semesters/months do not have to be consecutive.
- Are References required to volunteer? Yes. You will be asked to bring 2 completed reference forms to your Interview Appointment. Reference Forms.
- Is there a Volunteer uniform? Yes! Your uniform will be issued to you during or after your Interview Appointment.
About the Health Screening
- How can I obtain a copy of my medical records? Contact Occupational Health Services (OHS) at 734-764-8021.
- What immunization documentation do I need?
- Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR) Vaccination
- Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis (TDAP) Vaccination(s)
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) Vaccination
- Tuberculin (TB) Skin Test** - Documentation of a negative TB test within the past 12 months
- Seasonal Flu Shot** (required during Flu Season only)
- What is Grace Period? Grace Period is the optimal time 3x year to schedule an appointment with a Volunteer Coordinator to renew/reschedule your placement day/time/shift. Click here for details.
- How do I renew or change my placement? (see Grace Period above)
- Do I have to renew my credentials every year? YES! Volunteer ID badges expire yearly. Therefore, you must schedule your Annual Update Appointment
- What is a Pre-Approved Volunteer? Volunteers contact labs or research areas which accept volunteers, and submit the Pre-Approved Volunteer Application to register and be processed by Volunteer Services. For more information, click the Pre-Approved Volunteers button on our home page.
Ending Your Volunteer Service
- I’m finished volunteering, is there anything I need to do? Yes! You must close out your volunteer record with Volunteer Services, by doing the following:
- Confirm your last date of service
- Return your uniform - put your name on a card and leave it in the pocket
- Receive a written record of your volunteer service
- Receive your Honor Cords if you are graduating!