The University of Michigan Department of Urology is a comprised of a multidisciplinary group of physicians and scientists with a single mission: curing urologic diseases. Because of the depth of our research and clinical care programs, our team provides significant contributions to the field of urologic cancer and disease. Our goal is to translate scientific discoveries into medical realities. This is made possible through ongoing philanthropic support.
Read Jack's and Bill's stories and understand why the University of Michigan Department of Urology is home to the leaders and best in health care and medical science - why we are a place where the best people and groundbreaking research converge in a rich, collaborative environment to produce the best patient care.
Urology's history at the University of Michigan Health System dates to the arrival of the first faculty member in 1920. It became a Section of Surgery in 1930 and a Department in 2001. More than 20 urologists, scientists and other physicians form the faculty today, offering specialized care in bladder function and incontinence, prosthetic devices, male impotence and infertility, prostate hyperplasia, urinary stones, and cancers of the prostate, bladder, kidneys and testes. The department has special expertise in microsurgery, and houses the Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery, specializing in laparoscopic and endoscopic procedures.
The origins of the specialty of urology at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor begin with Dr. Hugh Cabot, an influential genitourinary surgeon from Boston who came to Ann Arbor in 1920 as Director of the Surgery Department and Dean of the Medical School. Cabot had been trained in the urologic tradition of Henry J. Bigelow and founded the genitourinary clinic at the Massachusetts General Hospital in 1910. At Michigan, Cabot developed a practice of genitourinary surgery in the Surgery Department and recruited two young men in 1925 who became stars in urology.
One was Charles Huggins, M.D., who went on to win the Nobel Prize for his work with the hormonal manipulation of prostate cancer. The other resident was Reed Nesbit, M.D., who became the first chief of the Section of Urology in 1930 and remained as professor and chairman until his retirement in 1968. Nesbit was the first urologist to become president of the American College of Surgeons and the only other urologist to do the same was his subsequent resident at Michigan, Dr. Ralph Straffon. Nesbit remained chief of urology at Michigan through the formative years of modern urology. He was a great educator and innovator contributing many of his residents to the ranks of academia. His successor was Jack Lapides, M.D., trained by Nesbit and in his own right, one of the most influential figures in urology in this century.
Lapides' many contributions centered around the area of lower urinary tract function and included clean intermittent catheterization, which went against the grain of established medical practice but proved in time to be one of the most important contributions to come out of the field of genitourinary surgery. Many urologists say that if there were a Nobel Prize in urology it should have gone to Jack Lapides for his concept of clean intermittent catheterization.
Ed McGuire followed as chief of urology in 1983 after the retirement of Lapides. McGuire has been one of the great contemporary voices in the fields of urinary tract infection, urodynamics and pelvic surgery. His concepts of leak point pressure and genuine stress incontinence, have been seminal ideas in modern urology. McGuire stepped down in 1992 and H. Barton Grossman, M.D., followed McGuire, serving as section head until the arrival of Dr. Joseph Oesterling in 1994. James Montie M.D. took over as chief in 1997. The section of Urology became an independent department in 2001. Dr. David Bloom, M.D., replaced Montie in March 2007 as department head.