Pre-operative Bowel Preparation for Laparoscopic Procedures
Clear liquid diet on the day before surgery to be taken for breakfast, lunch, and supper.
• Carbonated beverages (soda pop)
• Jello (no fruit added)
• Clear soup (bouillon, chicken or beef broth)
• Coffee and tea (without milk or cream added)
• Grape, apple, or cranberry juice
• Lemon drops or other hard candy
• Honey, sugar, or sugar substitute
• Any fruit juice that is not clear (no orange or tomato juice)
• All solid food
Drink plenty of water on that day to keep from becoming dehydrated.
Drink one bottle of Magnesium Citrate (available over-the-counter at your local pharmacy) at 12:00 noon the day before surgery.
- Magnesium Citrate is best tolerated when chilled well. Drink with a straw placed well back on the tongue to avoid the sour taste.