Vasectomy Reversal (Vasovasotomy or Vasoepididymostomy) Post-Operative Instructions
- You must bring a driver with you to this surgery- you will not be allowed to drive yourself home.
- Keep physical activity after the surgery to a minimum, until you have been cleared by your doctor. This includes avoiding any heavy lifting, exercise and sexual activity.
- You may shower after 24 hours. Do not take a bath or use a hot tub for five (5) days.
- Expect some mild pain, mild swelling of the scrotum and possible slight fluid leak from the incision site(s). A gauze pad may be applied to the incision if there is any leakage.
- You may continue your normal diet.
- You may return to work after 48 hours, as long as your job is sedentary and does not involve heavy lifting.
- You must avoid ejaculation following the surgery until you have been cleared by your doctor. These microscopic attachments are very delicate and could be damaged by any ejaculation before healing has occurred.
- Prescription pain medication will be provided. You may also take Extra-Strength Tylenol, Motrin or Advil as needed for any pain or discomfort after the first two to three (2-3) days. Follow the package directions regarding dose.
- If you experience unusual or severe pain that is not relieved by pain medication, excessive bleeding or drainage, excessive swelling or redness, foul odor or a fever over 101° F, please contact the Department of Urology at (734) 936-5770. After 5:00 pm or on weekends, please contact the Urology resident at (734) 936-6267.
You will be given an appointment to return for a postoperative visit approximately two (2) weeks after surgery, at which time your progress will evaluated.