Vasectomy Post-Op Instructions
- You must have someone available to drive you home after your procedure.
- Avoid strenuous activity for 48 hours after your procedure. This includes any heavy lifting. You may return to work the next day, as long as no strenuous activity is required.
- You may shower after 24 hours. Do not take a bath or use a hot tub for five (5) days.
- You may apply ice or a cold pack to the scrotum as needed, for 10 minutes of every hours. (A bag of frozen peas will mold to the area). This may help reduce any pain or swelling. It may also be helpful to wear supportive
underwear, such as briefs.
- Expect some mild pain, mild swelling of the scrotum and possible slight fluid leak from the site of the puncture. A gauze pad may be applied to the scrotum if there is any leakage from the puncture site. This drainage may
continue for several days and is normal.
- You may continue your normal diet.
- After the procedure, you will be given two (2) specimen cups. You need to do sperm checks at 6 and 12 weeks. Please bring the specimen to Taubman Center at University of Michigan, 2nd floor, Reception area C – Urology.
Please let the clerks know that you are dropping off a post-vasectomy specimen. Drop off specimens on Wednesdays or Fridays, between the hours of 8:00 am and 3:00 pm.
- You may resume having sex after two (2) days, if comfortable enough. Until you are told that you are sterile, it is essential that you use another form of birth control. We will give you clearance to stop using birth control after two (2) zero sperm counts. If any sperm are seen on the first two counts, additional checks will be necessary.
- Take Extra-Strength Tylenol, Motrin or Advil as needed for any pain or discomfort. Follow the package directions regarding dose. Stronger prescription pain medication is provided, but most people do not find that it is
- If you experience unusual or severe pain that is not relieved by pain medication, excessive bleeding or drainage, excessive swelling or redness, foul odor or a fever over 101° F, please contact the Urology clinic at (734) 936-7030. After 5:00 pm or on weekends, please contact the Urology resident at (734) 936-6267.
You will usually receive a phone call within 7-10 days after the specimen is dropped off, regarding the results. Please make sure that you provide us with an up-to-date phone number. If we cannot leave a message at that number, please let us know.