The second phase, Opportunity Exploration, will commence as the Fellows begin to apply the tools of innovation to undertake problem identification within the defined opportunity space. The Fellows will execute each tool at the proper stage under the guidance of an innovation expert/mentor. The focal point of this phase will be full clinical immersion, providing the Fellows with first-hand exposure to the realities and complexities of healthcare delivery. Through observation and inquiry, the Fellows will engage in intense study of health, disease, and current treatments which will give them insight into the impact of healthcare delivery on providers and patients. This phase will culminate with numerous ideas that are considered viable candidates for further assessment as potential businesses.
- Health System II
- Obtain background and knowledge necessary for FDA approval, potential reimbursement, human issues
- Obtain core methodologies in outcomes and health services research along with their applications in healthcare
- Skill Development II
- Learn multiple methods of data mining and collection
- Learn how to effectively observe and interview
- Advanced Engineering
- Become exposed to the entire design process such as problem definition, design review and prototyping
- Business and Law Fundamentals
- Develop a flexible way of thinking about and defining the market domain
- Understand and analyze problems in bioethics
- Examine key concepts of patent law
Review the third phase of the Innovation Fellowship, Opportunity Execution.