The Design and Prototype Lab is a fee-for-service facility that is equipped with some of the most advanced prototyping equipment in the State of Michigan.
Medical device clients of the MIC Design and Prototype Lab benefit from integrated industrial design and conceptual engineering support intended to optimize function and usability of future products. The MIC Lab is positioned to design and fabricate medical devices, tools, and prototypes. In coordination with the MIC team, lab personnel assist inventors during the product development process, optimizing the function of products and systems.
Design and Prototype Lab Services
- Concept development
- Engineering input
- CAD modeling
- 3D visualization/rendering
- User interface design
- Graphic design
- Model fabrication and prototyping (pre-GMP)
- Project management throughout the product development process for your design or prototype
Rapid Prototyping Equipment:
- Objet Connex 500 *
3D Printer System capable of simultaneously jetting multiple model materials
- SLA Viper si2 *
Dual resolution SLA System
- Haas Micro 3-Axis Machine *
- Three axis CNC Vertical Milling
- CNC Lathe Turning
- Conventional Lathe and Mill Work
- Optical, English, and Metric Thread Cutting
- Precision Sheet Metal Fabrication
- Tungsten Inert Gas Welding of Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Copper, etc.
- Silver Soldering
- Bead Blasting
- Alias Studio
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
* This equipment was purchased through an investment from the Michigan Institute for Clinical Health Research
Interested in design/prototyping support?
Contact us today to find out how the Design and Prototype Lab team can help bring your idea or product to life.
Email UM-MICLab@med.umich.edu and please include:
- Your name and phone number
- Your U-M department or company name
- A brief description of your request