The mission of the Medical Innovation Center (MIC) is to impact human health through innovative medical technology discovery and commercialization.
Specifically, our goals are to:
- Become a nationally recognized leader in medical innovation education by annually educating a cohort of talent from medicine, business, and engineering fields to become future leaders in the advancement of impactful medical innovations.
- Assist in enhancing U-M's reputation nationally for biomedical innovation contributing to entrepreneurial growth throughout the region and enhancing faculty and staff retention/recruitment.
- Provide professional, proactive, hands-on assistance to medical innovators (internal and external) to translate their ideas to device, diagnostic, and therapeutic products that can be used in clinical practice.
- Promote understanding of issues required in the commercialization of medical technology from the health system, across the medical campus, and across engineering, public health, and life sciences departments, thereby increasing commercially promising invention disclosures and licensing deals.
- Increase the translation of biomedical solutions to proof-of-concept.
- Leverage the existing resources of the University to achieve our mission and thereby enhance cross-campus collaboration.