When processing a termination, there are a number of things to keep in mind.
- If the employee’s last monthly accrual has already been put in their bank, remember that depending on their term date, half or all of that accrual may be removed, so you may not be able to record as much PTO or VAC as shows in their bank.
- Time for positive paid employees can be recorded normally.
- When an exception paid employee terms, keep in mind that the system will pay the employee for his appointment. If the termination hasn’t been entered into system, it will pay the entire appointment, requiring an entry of ETW to deduct for time not worked. If the term has been entered, the system will prorate the employee’s final week according to his appointment. The system is programmed for the following bi-weekly formula:
- Hours per week / 5 = hours paid on each weekday of the final week
- This formula assumes that the employee works M – F; if that is not the case, you can enter OTR or ETW to correct the proration.
- Ex: Your 20 hour employee works 10 hours on Sunday and 10 hours on Friday and the term date is Thursday.
- 20 / 5 = 4 (4hours will be paid for each weekday before the term date)
That system will pay 12 hours (4hours for M, T, and W). Because the employee will only work 10 hours that week, you can enter ETW for 2 hours to correct this.