Examples of Job Qualifications
Required qualifications should be directly relevant and tied to the job duties.
- Requires at least a Bachelor's degree and supplemental year or years of progressively responsible experience in biologic science.
- Requires proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet and database software.
- Requires the ability to read, analyze and interpret documents, including technical accounting procedures and government regulations.
- Requires a knowledge of Microbiology and Immunology, and the ability to apply this knowledge.
- Requires at least one year in designing software programming in Novell and C+.
- Requires one year of experience maintaining accounting records.
Desired qualifications are those qualifications that are preferred for the position.
- Master's degree preferred;
- Supervisory experience preferred;
- Medical background preferred.
DO NOT use qualifications such as "must have a winning personality." This is not appropriate and can be legally challenged. A better qualification could be stated as "Demonstrated excellent customer service skills."
- A List of Jobs Requiring Licenses and Certifications (PDF) is a helpful tool for creating qualifications.
- Basic Competencies are required for all university positions. A basic competency is defined as a knowledge, skill, or behavior essential for one to function as an effective member of the University of Michigan.