- 1. Volume targeted: patient gets set tidal VOLUME
- - Pressure is variable
- 2. Pressured targeted: patient gets set PRESSURE
- - Volume is variable
- 1. Control: machine initiates breaths
- - Pressure targeted
- 2. Assist control: patient can initiate but machine will engage breath if rate falls below certain rate.
- - Pressure OR volume targeted
- 3. Intermittent mandatory (IMV): machine delivers set breaths, patient can breath spontaneously between.
- 4. Synchronized IMV (SIMV): IMV but patient initiates breaths, prevents breath “stacking”.
- 5. Pressure support (PSV): patient initiated, but pressure is controlled during breath.
- 6. Pressure control (PCV): machine initiated breath with preset peak inspiratory pressure.
1. Mode: SIMV, PCV, etc.
2. Fraction of Oxygen (FiO2)
3. Positive end expiratory pressure (PEEP)
4. Pressure support (PS)
5. Tidal volume- usually 6-10ml/kg ideal body wt.
6. Respiratory Rate- normally 12-15
7. Flowrate- normally 40-60 liters per minute
8. Inspiration/Expiration ratio (I/E)- nl. adult 1:2
9. Peak airway pressures
10. Mean airway pressures
11. Weaning parameters