*Always read for cases beforehand. Ask your residents for suggestions. The preparation you put in will pay off in the OR.
Who is the patient and what is their diagnosis?
- PMH, PSH, etc.
Indications for the procedure?
- How will this surgery help them?
What does the procedure entail?
- Know the basic steps and you will understand the anatomy MUCH better.
What to expect postoperatively?
- Going to SICU, floor, home?
- Possible complications
- New medications required
- Goals for discharge
Textbooks: (Web access available thru UofM)
1. ACS Surgery: Principles & Practice
2. Current Diagnosis and Treatment: Surgery
3. Current Procedures: Surgery