STUDENT NAME: ________________________
MD, PA, NP Initials (_____)
1. Perform venipuncture and establish an intravenous line (_____)
2. Perform an arterial puncture or place an arterial line (_____)
3. Insert a nasogastric tube. (_____)
4. Remove a nasogastric tube. (_____)
5. Insert a Foley catheter. (_____)
6. Remove a Foley catheter. (_____)
7. Demonstrate appropriate technique in packing an open wound. (_____)
8. Close a wound using a subcuticular stitch. (_____)
9. Remove or place a surgical drain. (_____)
10. Irrigate or debride a contaminated or infected wound. (_____)
11. Using aseptic technique, prepare body surface for a surgical incision. (_____)
12. Control bleeding from a deep soft tissue laceration (apply pressure). (_____)
13. Remove sutures or surgical staples. (_____)
Students also need to be directly observed doing an abdominal examination by an attending surgeon 3 times over the course of the 8 week clerkship.
Students must be directly observed by an attending surgeon one time getting either a pre-operative or a post-operative history.
Students must be directly observed by an attending surgeon one time giving post-operative instructions or patient education.