Many of our clients are seniors who live at or below the poverty level and face difficult financial situations. They may go without basic necessities that ensure or improve their safety and comfort, such as home heating. When people are short on funds, they may not be able to afford a phone or pay to use public transportation.
Some clients have incomes that are just above the eligibility guidelines for a program that could assist them financially. On their limited incomes they cannot afford basic home repairs. In these cases, we must rely on donations for the needed services.
Donations that will make a difference in the lives of our clients:
- gift certificates for groceries
- phone cards for essential communications
- gift certificates to stores that sell home heaters, insulating materials for winter weatherization or materials for home repairs, such as a new screen door
- bus tokens for transportation
- financial assistance for major household cleaning
- financial contributions to the foreclosure loan fund
Helping the Housing Bureau for Seniors
Our operating budget covers the essentials. However, we would like to enhance our effectiveness and support our efforts to provide high-quality service to clients and the larger community. We would appreciate:
- funding to build up our library of professional books and videos on housing issues
- support for subscriptions to professional journals
- air miles or gas cards to help stretch professional development dollars
- portable copier
- laptop computer and projector
- scanner compatible with the University of Michigan system
Please contact Laura Nathan at 734-998-9339 to make donations.
Thank you for your help.