Joann I. Prisciandaro, PhD, DABR, FAAPM
Director of Medical Physics Residency Program
Joann Prisciandaro, PhD:
Director of Medical Physics Residency Program
Dr. Prisciandaro received her Ph.D. in Chemical Physics at Michigan State University in 2001. Following graduation, she worked as a research fellow in the department of Radiation Oncology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. In October of 2004, Dr. Prisciandaro joined the clinical faculty at the University of Michigan. She obtained her certification in Therapeutic Radiologic Physics in 2006 through the American Board of Radiology (ABR). Her main clinical focus is brachytherapy, and she heads our brachytherapy program. Dr. Prisciandaro also has a strong interest in education. At present, she teaches medical physics in our department to radiation therapy technology students, radiation oncology residents, and clinical physics residents, and is the director of the department’s medical physics residency program. She is a member of the Department of Radiation Oncology Variance Committee, the University of Michigan's Radiation Policy Committee, and the University of Michigan Health Systems Clinical Radiation Safety Committee.
Professionally, Dr. Prisciandaro is active in a number of American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) committees and subcommittees related to education and professionalism. She serves as the Chair of the Work Group on Periodic Review of Medical Physics Residency Training, the Chair of the Education and Training of Medical Physicists Committee, and a member of Education Council. She is also a board member and treasurer for the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Educational Programs (CAMPEP).
- Brachytherapy: Lead brachytherapy physicist
- Designed and developed the HDR program at the main campus of University of Michigan hospital (GammaMed iX and BrachyVision).
- Developed procedures and documentation for planning and delivery of intracavitary, intraluminal, surface, and interstitial implants (prostate and gynecological).
- Treatment planning (BrachyVision), plan checks, daily, monthly, annual quality assurance and new source acceptance and assay.
- In collaboration with HDR brachytherapy team, developing clinical protocols and documentation for MR-guided brachytherapy.
- Y-90 Theraspheres
- Designed and developed documentation and radiation safety procedures for the clinical implementation of Theraspheres protocol.
- Treatment planning, sphere assay and radiation safety.
- Radiation Safety
- Monitors quarterly departmental badge reports/readings.
- Departmental liaison with Radiation Safety.
- Maintains and updates departmental radiation usage license and registration.
- Prepares NRC-313A(amp) and NRC-313A(aus) documentation for residents and staff.
- Performed HDR suite shielding design and final survey.
- External Beam
- Oversees monthly and annual quality assurance for linac (Varian 21EX and 600CD) and primary responder for treatment machine calls.
- Performs 2D, 3D, IMRT, SBRT, and VMAT plan checks, weekly chart checks, and chart rounds.
- Director of the Medical Physics Residency Program
- Instructor for the Radiotherapy Physics course for Radiation Oncology Resident's
- Brachytherapy Instructor for Allied Health Radiation Physics II course (RTT 432)
- Maintains radiation safety modules for Radiation Oncology staff
- Chair of AAPM Work Group on Periodic Review of Medical Physics Residency Training
- Chair of AAPM Education and Training of Medical Physicists Committee
- Member of AAPM Education Council
- Member of Maintence of Certification Subcommittee
- Member of AAPM Radiation Oncology Medical Physics Education Subcommittee
- Member of AAPM Medical Physics Residency Training and Promotion Subcommittee
- Member of Board of Directors and Treasurer of CAMPEP
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) guided brachytherapy
- Developing high dose rate brachytherapy (HDR) clinical protocols
- Tumor localization and gating/tracking studies
- J.I. Prisciandaro, A. Makkar, C.J. Fox, J.A. Hayman, L. Horwood, F. Pelosi, and J.M. Moran: Dosimetry review of cardiac implantable electronic device patients receiving radiotherapy, Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics, 16(1): 254-263, 2015.
- S.B. Johnson, J.I. Prisciandaro, J. Zhou, S.W. Hadley, R.K. Reynolds, and S. Jolly: Primary Peritoneal Clear Cell Carcinoma Treated with Adjuvant IMRT and Interstitial HDR Brachytherapy, Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics, 15(1): 202-212, 2014.
- S.B. Johnson, J. Zhou, S. Jolly, B. Guo, L. Young, and J.I. Prisciandaro: The Dosimetric Impact of Single, Dual and Triple Tandem Applicators in the Treatment of Intact Uterine Cancer, Brachytherapy, 13(3): 268-274, 2014.
- J.I. Prisciandaro, C. Willis, J.W. Burmeister, et al.: Essentials and Guidelines for Clinical Medical Physics Residency Training Programs: Report from the Work Group on Periodic Review of Medical Physics Residency Training, Approved by AAPM Education Council, 2013.
- D.W. Litzenberg, I.A. Gallagher, K.J. Masi, C. Lee, J.I. Prisciandaro, D. Hamstra, T. Ritter, and K.L. Lam: A measurement technique to determine the calibration accuracy of an electromagnetic tracking system to radiation isocenter, Medical Physics, 40(8): 081711-1-8, 2013.
- J.I. Prisciandaro: Review of Online Education Resources for Medical Physicists, Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics, 14(6): 368-387, 2013.
- J. Zhou, J. Prisciandaro, C. Lee, M. Schipper, A. Eisbruch, and S. Jolly: Single or multi-channel vaginal cuff HDR brachytherapy: Is replanning necessary prior to each fraction?, Practical Radiation Oncology, 4(1): 20-26, 2014.A. Makkar, J.I. Prisciandaro, S. Agarwal, M. Lusk, L. Horwood, J. Moran, C. Fox, J.A. Hayman, H. Ghanbari, B. Roberts, D. Belardi, R. Latchamsetty, T. Crawford, E. Good, K. Jongnarangsin, F. Bogun, A. Chugh, H. Oral, F. Morady, and F. Pelosi: Effects of radiation therapy on permanent pacemaker and implantable cardioverter-defibrillator function, Heart Rhythm 9(12): 1964-8, 2012.
My family at Work
My family at Home
Joann Prisciandaro, PhD, Associate Professor
|University of Michigan Hospital and Health Systems
Department of Radiation Oncology
UHB2 C432, SPG 5010
1500 East Medical Center Dr.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109