Radiation and Cancer Biology
Mukesh Nyati, PhD
Assistant Professor in Radiation and Cancer Biology
Dr. Nyati's laboratory research has focused on the areas of EGFR antagonists and the treatment of Head and Neck Cancer. He has investigated EGFR degradation after treatment with cetuximab, radiation, cisplatin, or gemcitabine. This has led into a study of the importance of the EGFR degradation that may take place during EGFR- targeted therapy given alone or when combined with radiation and chemotherapy. His main idea is that the degradation of EGFR rather than its simple inhibition will correlate with the outcome. Another area of interest is the search for biomarkers and potential targets downstream of EGFR as potential predictors of response to radiation therapy. Another important area that he has developed is related to development of a therapeutic peptide (Disruptin) to target EGFR based on innovative idea of disruption of EGFR and HSP90 complex. His major research efforts are currently supported by several grants including a project in the UM SPORE in Head and Neck Cancer, a UM Cancer Center Idea award and an R01.
Faculty Appointment: Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology
Specialty: Radiation Oncology
Research Interests: Signal transduction, protein degradation, radiation sensitization and experimental therapeutics.
Degree: Ph.D., 1996, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, INDIA
Added Qualification: 1997, Ph.D.
Faculty Appointment: Date:1/7/1999
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Nyati Lab Members and Friends
|Back to top|
- Gupta RR, Dev PK, Sharma ML, Rajoria CM, Gupta A, Nyati M. Anticancer activities of 2,3-dihydro-1,4-benzothiazines, and of their 4-(N-alkyl amides) and 4-(N-alkyl N-nitrosoamides). Anti-cancer Drugs 4(5):589-592, 1993.
- Nyati MK, Rajoria CM, Gupta RR, Dev PK. Evaluation of certain ureas and nitrosoureas of 2,3-dihydro-1,4-benzothiazines against Sarcoma-180 solid tumors in vivo. Anti-cancer Drugs 6(5):693-696, 1995.
- Nyati MK, Rai D, Gupta RR, Dev PK. Development of differential cytotoxic compounds containing nitrosourea and benzothiazine nucleus. In vivo (Athens, Greece) 11(1):95-99, 1997.
- Kievit E, Nyati MK, Ng E, Stegman LD, Parsels J, Ross BD, Rehemtulla A, Lawrence TS. Yeast cytosine deaminase improves radiosensitization and bystander effect by 5-fluorocytosine of human colorectal cancer xenografts. Can Res 60(23):6649-6655, 2000.
- Sreekumar A, Nyati MK, Varambally S, Barrette TR, Ghosh D, Lawrence TS, Chinnaiyan AM. Profiling of cancer cells using protein microarrays: discovery of novel radiation-regulated proteins. Can Res 61(20):7585-7593, 2001.
- Lawrence TS, Nyati MK. Small-molecule tyrosine kinase inhibitors as radiosensitizers. Sem Rad Onc 12(3 Suppl 2):33-36, 2002.
- Nyati MK, Sreekumar A, Li S, Zhang M, Rynkiewicz SD, Chinnaiyan AM, Rehemtulla A, Lawrence TS. High and selective expression of yeast cytosine deaminase under a carcinoembryonic antigen promoter-enhancer. Can Res 62(8):2337-2342, 2002.
- Nyati MK, Symon Z, Kievit E, Dornfeld KJ, Rynkiewicz SD, Ross BD, Rehemtulla A, Lawrence TS. The potential of 5-fluorocytosine/cytosine deaminase enzyme prodrug gene therapy in an intrahepatic colon cancer model. Gene Therapy 9(13):844-849, 2002.Lawrence TS,
- Nyati MK. Small-molecule tyrosine kinase inhibitors as radiosensitizers. Sem Rad Onc 12:33-36, 2002.
- Zhang M, Li S, Nyati MK, DeRemer S, Parsels J, Rehemtulla A, Ensminger WD, Lawrence TS. Regional delivery and selective expression of a high-activity yeast cytosine deaminase in an intrahepatic colon cancer model. Can Res 63(3):658-663, 2003.
- Nyati MK, Maheshwari D, Hanasoge S, Sreekumar A, Rynkiewicz SD, Chinnaiyan AM, Leopold WR, Ethier SP, Lawrence TS. Radiosensitization by pan ErbB inhibitor CI-1033 in vitro and in vivo. Clin Can Res 10(2):691-700, 2004. (Cover Article)
- Chun PY, Feng FY, Scheurer AM, Davis MA, Lawrence TS, Nyati MK. Synergistic effects of gemcitabine and gefitinib in the treatment of head and neck carcinoma. Can Res 66(2):981-988, 2006.
- Nyati MK, Feng FY, Kanade VD, Nayak R. Chloroquine treatment increases detection of 5-fluorouracil-induced apoptosis index in vivo. Mol Imag 5(3):148-152, 2006.
- Nyati MK, Feng FY, Maheshwari D, Varambally S, Zielske SP, Ahsan A, Chun PY, Arora VA, Davis MA, Jung M, Ljungman M, Canman CE, Chinnaiyan AM, Lawrence TS. Ataxia telangiectasia mutated down-regulates phospho-extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 via activation of MKP-1 in response to radiation. Can Res 66(24):11554-11559, 2006.
- Nyati MK, Morgan MA, Feng FY, Lawrence TS. Integration of EGFR inhibitors with radiochemotherapy. Nat Rev 6(11):876-885, 2006.
- Feng FY, Lopez CA, Normolle DP, Varambally S, Li X, Chun PY, Davis MA, Lawrence TS, Nyati MK. Effect of epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitor class in the treatment of head and neck cancer with concurrent radiochemotherapy in vivo. Clin Can Res 13(8):2512-2518, 2007. (Cover Article)
- Feng FY, Varambally S, Tomlins SA, Chun PY, Lopez CA, Li X, Davis MA, Chinnaiyan AM, Lawrence TS, Nyati MK. Role of epidermal growth factor receptor degradation in gemcitabine-mediated cytotoxicity. Oncogene 26(23):3431-3433, 2007.
- Lopez CA, Feng FY, Herman JM, Nyati MK, Lawrence TS, Ljungman M. Phenylbutyrate sensitizes human glioblastoma cells lacking wild-type p53 function to ionizing radiation. Intl Jnl Rad Onc Bio Phys 69(1):214-220, 2007.
- Sreekumar A, Poisson LM, Rajendiran TM, ..Nyati MK (11/26) ..Chinnaiyan AM. Metabolomic profiles delineate potential role for sarcosine in prostate cancer progression. Nature 2009; 457: 910-4
- Ahsan A, Hiniker S, Davis MA, Lawrence TS, Nyati MK. The Role of Cell Cycle in Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Inhibitor-Mediated Radiosensitization. Cancer Research 15;69(12):5108-14, 2009.
- Mani RS, Tomlins SA, Callahan K, Ghosh A, Nyati MK, Varambally S, Palanisamy N, Chinnaiyan AM. Induced chromosomal proximity and gene fusions in prostate cancer. Science 2009;326:1230.
- Mierzwa M, Nyati MK, Morgan MA, Lawrence TS. Status of Combined Modality Therapy. The Oncologist 2010 15 (4), pp. 372-381
- Ahsan A, Hiniker SM, Ramanand SG, Nyati S, Hegde A, Helman A, Menawat R, Bhojani MS, Lawrence TS, Nyati MK. Role of epidermal growth factor receptor degradation in cisplatin-induced cytotoxicity in head and neck cancer. Cancer Res. 2010;70:2862-2869.
- Bhojani MS, Nyati MK*, Zhao L, Normolle DP, Ross BD, Lawrence TS, et al. Molecular imaging of akt enables early prediction of response to molecular targeted therapy. Transl Oncol. 2011;4:122-5. (*equal first author)
- Khan AP, Contessa JN, Nyati MK, Ross BD, Rehemtulla A. Molecular imaging of epidermal growth factor receptor kinase activity. Anal Biochem. 2011.
- Ray D, Ahsan A, Helman A, Chen G, Hegde A, Gurjar SR, Zhao L, Kiyokawa H, Beer DG, Lawrence TS, Nyati MK. Regulation of EGFR Protein Stability by the HECT-type Ubiquitin Ligase SMURF2. Neoplasia. 2011;13:570-578. (Cover Article)
- Argiris A, Duffy A, Kummar S,…. Nyati MK (16/18).. Van Waes C. Early tumor progression associated with enhanced EGFR signaling with bortezomib, cetuximab, and radiotherapy for head and neck cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2011.