Radiation and Cancer Biology
Felix Feng, MD: Assistant Professor or Radiation Oncology
While Protein-coding genes are only ~1.5% of the genome, 40 - 70% of the genome is transcribed into RNA. What is the function of this pervasive “noncoding” RNA (the “dark matter” of the genome) transcription? In the diverse RNA world, lncRNAs have emerged as an important class of regulatory genes associated with a variety of cellular processes and diseases.
LncRNAs are RNA polymerase II transcripts over >200nt in length. They can have multiple exons and undergo alternative splicing. LncRNAs are also relatively lineage-specific: The upstream region of lncRNA promoter typically contains an epigenetic signature of H3K4me3 and H3K36me3.
Our lab is interested in long-noncoding RNAs involved in prostate cancer and breast cancer. We are employing strategies that involve RNA-seq, Chip-Seq etc.. to answer the following questions:
- What are the lncRNAs that populate cancer?
- Are they functional in disease?
- Could lncRNAs be important clinically?
Kari Wilder-Romans, MS: Lab Manager
Meilan Liu, MD,MS: Intermediate Research Specialist
Sumin Han, PhD: Associate Research Specialist
Chao Zhang, MS: Associate Research Specialist
Vishal Kothari, PhD: Research Fellow
Teng Ma, MD, PhD: Research Fellow
Corey Spears, MD, PhD: Chief Resident
Joe Evans, MD, PhD: Resident
George Zhao: Medical Student
|Back to top|
Recent Publications directly from the Feng Lab (from a total of 73)
- The lncRNA PCAT29 Inhibits Oncogenic Phenotypes in Prostate Cancer. Malik R, Patel L, Prensner JR, Shi Y, Iyer M, Subramaniyan S, Carley A, Niknafs YS, Sahu A, Han S, Ma T, Liu M, Asangani I, Jing X, Cao X, Dhanasekaran SM, Robinson D, Feng FY, Chinnaiyan AM. Mol Cancer Res. 2014 Jul 16. pii: molcanres.0257.2014. [Epub ahead of print]
- Molecular Pathways: Targeting ETS Gene Fusions in Cancer. Feng FY, Brenner JC, Hussain M, Chinnaiyan AM. Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Jun 23. pii: clincanres.0275.2013. [Epub ahead of print]
- A Comprehensive Analysis of CXCL12 Isoforms in Breast Cancer1,2. Zhao S, Chang SL, Linderman JJ, Feng FY, Luker GD. Transl Oncol. 2014 May 13. pii: S1936-5233(14)00021-7. doi: 10.1016/j.tranon.2014.04.001. [Epub ahead of print]
- Therapeutic targeting of BET bromodomain proteins in castration-resistant prostate cancer. Asangani IA, Dommeti VL, Wang X, Malik R, Cieslik M, Yang R, Escara-Wilke J, Wilder Romans K, Dhanireddy S, Engelke C, Iyer MK, Jing X, Wu YM, Cao X, Qin ZS, Wang S, Feng FY, Chinnaiyan AM. Nature. 2014 Jun 12;510(7504):278-82. doi: 10.1038/nature13229. Epub 2014 Apr 23.
- The IncRNAs PCGEM1 and PRNCR1 are not implicated in castration resistant prostate cancer. Prensner JR, Sahu A, Iyer MK, Malik R, Chandler B, Asangani IA, Poliakov A, Vergara IA, Alshalalfa M, Jenkins RB, Davicioni E, Feng FY, Chinnaiyan AM. Oncotarget. 2014 Mar 30;5(6):1434-8.
- PCAT-1, a long noncoding RNA, regulates BRCA2 and controls homologous recombination in cancer. Prensner JR, Chen W, Iyer MK, Cao Q, Ma T, Han S, Sahu A, Malik R, Wilder-Romans K, Navone N, Logothetis CJ, Araujo JC, Pisters LL, Tewari AK, Canman CE, Knudsen KE, Kitabayashi N, Rubin MA, Demichelis F, Lawrence TS, Chinnaiyan AM, Feng FY. Cancer Res. 2014 Mar 15;74(6):1651-60. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-13-3159. Epub 2014 Jan 28.
- The central role of EED in the orchestration of polycomb group complexes. Cao Q, Wang X, Zhao M, Yang R, Malik R, Qiao Y, Poliakov A, Yocum AK, Li Y, Chen W, Cao X, Jiang X, Dahiya A, Harris C, Feng FY, Kalantry S, Qin ZS, Dhanasekaran SM, Chinnaiyan AM. Nat Commun. 2014;5:3127. doi: 10.1038/ncomms4127.
- Targeted radiosensitization of ETS fusion-positive prostate cancer through PARP1 inhibition. Han S, Brenner JC, Sabolch A, Jackson W, Speers C, Wilder-Romans K, Knudsen KE, Lawrence TS, Chinnaiyan AM, Feng FY. Neoplasia. 2013 Oct;15(10):1207-17.
- The long noncoding RNA SChLAP1 promotes aggressive prostate cancer and antagonizes the SWI/SNF complex. Prensner JR, Iyer MK, Sahu A, Asangani IA, Cao Q, Patel L, Vergara IA, Davicioni E, Erho N, Ghadessi M, Jenkins RB, Triche TJ, Malik R, Bedenis R, McGregor N, Ma T, Chen W, Han S, Jing X, Cao X, Wang X, Chandler B, Yan W, Siddiqui J, Kunju LP, Dhanasekaran SM, Pienta KJ, Feng FY, Chinnaiyan AM. Nat Genet. 2013 Nov;45(11):1392-8. doi: 10.1038/ng.2771. Epub 2013 Sep 29.
- A hormone-DNA repair circuit governs the response to genotoxic insult. Goodwin JF, Schiewer MJ, Dean JL, Schrecengost RS, de Leeuw R, Han S, Ma T, Den RB, Dicker AP, Feng FY, Knudsen KE. Cancer Discov. 2013 Nov;3(11):1254-71. doi: 10.1158/2159-8290.CD-13-0108. Epub 2013 Sep 11.
John Presner: Resident
Boston Chidren's Hospital
Wei Chen: Assistant Professor
The Institute of Microbiology of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (IMCAS)
Qi Cao: Assistant Member
The Methodist Hospital Research Institute