Walter M. Whitehouse Memorial Endowment
Walter M. Whitehouse succeeded Hodges as chairman and was viewed as a kind and gentle leader, well-liked by the faculty and loyal to the institution. He obtained his education at the University of Michigan and, after his training at the university hospital, joined the faculty in 1952. He had expertise in pulmonary radiology but was also active in gastrointestinal and obstetric radiology. He clarified the proper use of biliary contrast agents, advocated chest film surveys and recognized the radiation hazards of obstetric radiography. He was elected president of the Society of Chairmen of Academic Radiology Departments in 1975 and was a founding member of the Society of Gastrointestinal Radiologists, of which he was elected president in 1977.