Social Media Policy & Toolkit
Faculty, staff and students at UMHS are using social media to communicate with the public more and more each day.
When communicating through social media for personal or business reasons, you are responsible for protecting our patients - and yourself - while following new and existing U-M and UMHS policies and procedures.
We know there are many benefits to using social media for communications, but there are also pitfalls and risks.
Knowing these risks and learning to navigate these new channels before you begin using them is key to ensuring you use them effectively while minimizing risks to yourself, our patients and to UMHS.
To assist in educating the UMHS community, we've created this toolkit to:
- bring awareness to the newly created Use of Social Media for Business Purposes Policy,
- help guide you in making the right decisions about whether or not you should be using these tools for business purposes,
- and assist you with planning and best practices once you get underway.
The toolkit includes:
- UMHS Policy 01-01-040 Use of Social Media for Business Purposes, which outlines expectations and procedures for faculty and staff in the business setting
- Top 10 Guidelines for Success
- An online application/registration form - Register your current account or request authorization to get started with a new one
- Considerations for personal use of social media
- Understanding risks to health care professionals
- Social Media at UMHS - Find out what UMHS is doing with social media and how you can leverage tools that already exist
- Best practices - Facebook changes almost every week. Stay on top of current trends and research in effective use of social media
- Related resources - One stop location for resources, tools, and learning materials to help you understand what social media is and how to get started
- Manager's Toolkit - Resources for managers to review so they can address issues that may arise