Formerly called "everyuser" e-mails, these messages are sent to all U-M Health System employees who are part of the GroupWise network. Global User e-mails are sent electronically and are reprinted online. If you would like to send a Global User, please submit the request – in accordance with the guidelines below – as early as possible. All requests are reviewed, edited and distributed by the Department of Public Relations and Marketing Communications.
GLOBAL USER GUIDELINES
The Global User system is a direct and simple way to get important organizational information to a vast audience. For end users, it’s also an excellent way to weed through a sea of e-mails to find major institution-wide communications.
In an effort to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Global User system, the Department of Public Relations and Marketing Communications has created the following Global User e-mail guidelines.
Subject matter matters
Is your message appropriate for Global User distribution?
Global User e-mails are reserved for official U-M Health System business. This includes messages from Health System leaders and communications about:
- Urgent, time-critical information (severe weather, safety issues, traffic or construction reports, etc.)
- Joint Commission, CMS or other on-site surveys
- Key institutional initiatives, policies or processes
Consider your audience
Is a Global User the best way to reach your audience?
Before requesting a Global User e-mail, consider who you want to reach. Maybe an e-mail to a targeted group, such as nursing, faculty or managers is a better way to communicate your message. For example, you can reach managers and supervisors by sending an e-mail to the AdForum group which is listed in the GroupWise Address Book. In addition, there are a number of specific groups that can be reached by e-mail, such as all medical school faculty, members of the Faculty Group Practice, House Officers, all medical school staff and others. While Public Relations and Marketing Communications does not manage distribution to every existing mailing list group, we can assist in finding the right resource for you. If you want to reach some of these groups, you may also need to get permission from the list owner first.
There also are a number of publications that might best meet your communication needs, including:
- Applause! – a monthly online newsletter that recognizes the achievements of Health System staff and departments, and includes stories on employee volunteer activities, faculty awards, retirements, appointments and elections.
- Daily Bulletin – an online publication that features Health System and community-related announcements, and an online calendar of events.
- Community Beat – a magazine and online calendar published twice a year that lists cancer education and support groups, child and teen health workshops, fitness classes, healthy living and mental well-being programs, cooking classes, pregnancy education, senior health programs and more.
- E-news – an online weekly newsletter featuring Medical School news, updates, announcements and events.
- Inside View – a comprehensive bimonthly newsletter for Health System faculty and staff.
A successful communication is one that reaches the right audience. If you are unsure how to proceed or need assistance, call PRMC at 734-764-2220.
How to submit A GLOBAL USER E-MAIL request
Send your request to Kara Gavin at least three days prior to the date you want the message distributed. We realize this isn’t possible when it comes to certain messages (emergency communications, weather-related messages, surveyor arrivals, etc.), but if you do have time to plan, please let us know as early as possible to allow for editing and scheduling.
All submissions are reviewed, edited and distributed by PRMC. The department reserves the right to combine your message with one or more other messages in order to minimize the amount of e-mail delivered to faculty and staff.