(Stipulated by NIH grant requirements)
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident (only)
- Graduated or in the process of graduating with a baccalaureate degree in a biomedically relevant science, from an accredited U.S. college or university, no more than 36 month prior to applying to PREP, and are not currently enrolled in a graduate degree program.
- Must belong to groups considered underrepresented in the biomedical sciences as defined by the NIH to include individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds (socially, culturally, economically, or educationally). Applications are especially encouraged from students who are African American/Black; Hispanic/Latino American; Native American Indian/Alaskan Native, or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander.
- Plan to apply to a Ph.D. program in a biomedically relevant science after the successful completion of PREP.
How to Apply:
Applications to the University of Michigan PREP will be accepted until April 19. The PREP admission committee will review all applications in April and May, interview and make admission decisions until all positions are filled.
1. Complete the online Michigan PREP application form.
2. Submit college transcript(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org for each institution where undergraduate/graduate classes were attended. (submitted transcript(s) can be unofficial at the time of application, however, an official/final transcript showing baccalaureate degree conferred should be provided before beginning PREP).
3. Submit three letters of recommendations addressing the applicant’s qualifications, preparation, and/or motivation for graduate school in the sciences. It is recommended that these letters are from faculty scientist who supervised you in research, if possible.
Recommenders must submit this letter directly to email@example.com as soon as possible, but no later than the Michigan PREP application deadline of Friday, April 22, 2014.
If I recently applied to a University of Michigan graduate program(s), can I use those application materials to be considered for the Michigan PREP opportunity?
Yes, if you recently applied to a University of Michigan graduate program(s) and were declined admission, it is possible to utilize those application materials in place of submitting the Michigan PREP application form and/or resubmitting college transcripts and three letters of recommendation.
Please note, you will be asked to submit a letter (via email) explaining how you hope to benefit from the Michigan PREP program and provide materials that meet all required areas of the PREP application package (i.e. utilizing your recently submitted UM application to include the UM application form, both academic and personal statements, college transcripts, three letters of recommendation or providing updated materials to complete your PREP application package).
For more information regarding other PREP programs throughout the country, refer to the NIGMS site.
Kate Barald - PREP Director
phone: (734) 647-3376