Current Postdoctoral Fellows :: Resources
The University of Michigan extends benefits to all postdoctoral research fellows. These benefits may include: paid or unpaid periods of excused absence, adherence to the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), access to on-site child care, child care tuition grants, child care information resources, and access to dependent coverage for health insurance.
- Academic Human Resources offers the most comprehensive overview of benefits.
- See also the University of Michigan Benefits Office and Tax Information
University policies (SPGs) set expectations for individual and organizational behavior for employees and departments, and apply to the entire institution. Take the time to discover what policies are relevant to your role.
Additional resources to help you succeed in your role as a Michigan Postdoc:
- University of Michigan Postdoctoral Association
The UMPDA is a volunteer organization whose main objective is to represent the interests and issues of postdoctoral fellows at UM. They also host monthly networking events for postdocs from across all of campus. Find the PDA on Facebook for more social and career development events!
- Link with the Office of Postdoctoral Studies on LinkedIn
- Orientation for New Postdoctoral Fellows
Gain important information including advice from our director, benefits, navigating Ann Arbor, and making connections within the postdoc community.
- Join the National Postdoctoral Association for free as an affiliate of the UMMS
- Michigan Society of Fellows
The Michigan Society of Fellows, under the auspices of the Rackham Graduate School, was established in 1970 with endowment grants from the Ford Foundation and the Horace H. and Mary Rackham Funds. Each year the Society selects four outstanding applicants for appointment to three-year fellowships in the social, physical, and life sciences, and in the professional schools.
- Rackham School of Graduate Studies Postdoctoral Website
This site includes funding resources and contact information for postdoctoral fellows in your college, school or unit. This site also lists postdoctoral jobs, which faculty can use to post open postdoctoral positions.
- Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research (MICHR): MICHR is here to enable & enhance clinical & translational research at U-M and across the CTSA consortium.
- Information for International Scholars
- Diversity Matters at Michigan
- Career Development Calendar of Events
- UMMS Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Individual Development Plan
- FASEB Individual Development Plan
- Mentoring Resources from the National Postdoctoral Association
- The Versatile PhD: a resource dedicataed to helping you identify and prepare for possible non-academic careers. U-M is subscribed!
- Making the Right Moves:
A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty
- Science Careers (from the Journal Science)
- Science Careers: Downloadable PDFs
- Pathways to Science
- Diverse Postdoctoral Fellowships and Opportunities
- MICHR: A PDF overview of the Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research, offering enrichment programs, degree & certificate programs and post-terminal degree programs.