Orthotics & Prosthetics: U-CAN
University of Michigan Community Amputee Network
We are a non-profit Amputee Coalition group member. We meet the first Tuesday of each month, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., at the University of Michigan Orthotics and Prosthetics Center (UMOPC), 2850 South Industrial Hwy, Suite 400, Ann Arbor, MI. 48104.
Click here for a meeting flyer.
For driving directions to our facility, click here. (There is a Google Map at this site)
Our goal is to help amputees, people with limb loss or limb difference, and their families cope with the initial shock of loss by helping them regain control of their life through education, compassion, and encouragement. Amputees have the ability to do virtually anything they want to do and we do!
Our meetings usually have a presentation for the first hour. After the presentation we share information and have time for questions, answers and discussion. An important part of the group is time for socializing and physical activities that exercise the mind as well as the body. Please join us as we all learn together. Light refreshments are served.
- Has a growing peer mentoring network that matches experienced amputees with new amputees in similar circumstances
- Reaches out to parents who have children with limb loss or limb difference. We meet several times a year with activities for the children and discussion time for parents
- ACT (Amputees Creating a new Tomorrow) is a six week class that provides information for new amputees and their family or caregiver. Class information covers: phantom pain, driving, physical therapy, body image, employment…and much more
- Provides information for people before an amputation. We can share information and support as you go through this live altering surgery
We hope to help people look beyond the loss and look forward to tomorrow. Seeing someone in a similar situation can help a person realize they are not alone and that…There is Life after Amputation!
For more information please contact
Carla Vollmer—Limb Loss Support Coordinator
Nora Rosenblum—Clinical Social Worker
(NOTE NEW PHONE NUMBER)
Join us on June 21, 2014 for the first Limb Loss Event
co-sponsored by the
University of Michigan Health System and Saint Joseph Mercy Health System.
Check out the Event Activities and the Flyer for more information.
Registration is now open. Click here for the registration form.
Click on Lefty and read the article by A. Trevor Sutton
Limb-Loss Support Group Gets a Leg Up — With Lefty
as published in Social Work Today
Ann Arbor's Planet Rock hosts climbing challenge for amputees
A First Climb Event with OPAF
- Amputee Resource Guide (pdf)
- email U-CAN-Michigan@umich.edu or call Carla at 734-975-7432
for more information
- Ann Arbor’s Center for Independent Living:
- Your place for Information, Education, Life Skills, Sports, Recreation and more
- Diabetes-Related Support Groups (click here to find support groups related for "Adults Living with Type 1 Diabetes," "Type 2 Diabetes Support Group" and "Diabetes Support Group for Seniors 60+"
For further information on amputation and limb loss please see:
- Amputee Coalition http://www.amputee-coalition.org/
- inMotion a free online magazine published by Amputee Coalition
- Amputee News http://amputeenews.com/
News about, for and by amputees
- Amp It Up! a free online magazine published by Amputee News