U-M Spinal Cord Injury Model System’s Advisory Council
Our Advisory Council consists of a diverse group of individuals representing consumers and care providers of different age groups, racial backgrounds, education and professional perspectives. Their backgrounds provide a wide range of views, highlighting the needs of both consumer and professional communities. Their contributions have been many, and their guidance and counsel to the program have been invaluable.
The Advisory Council meets at least once a year to discuss the program’s progress toward meeting objectives. The council reviews and provides input regarding the plans and objectives concerning research, training, clinical services and dissemination services. They are consulted regarding their views on emerging issues in SCI care, new disability concerns, research and policies that warrant attention.
Advisory Council members:
- Provide feedback, comments and guidance on activities.
- Serve as advocates and educate other people, including those with spinal cord injuries, professionals, administrators and policymakers to increase visibility on behalf of the U-M Spinal Cord Injury Model System project.
- Assist with activities such as planning and developing conferences, and periodically contributing to the SCI Access newsletter.
- Lou Adams, Deputy Director Michigan Rehabilitation Services Dept. of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
- Eric Appleberry, DDS, retired Dentist and individual with SCI
- John Barnas, Executive Director
- Charles Beatty, Retired Principle and individual with tetraplegia
- Janet Del Valle, BS, RN, CRRN, CCM
- Marie Harrell, Michigan Department of Career Development Rehabilitation Services
- Michael Harris, Executive Director Michigan Paralyzed Veterans of America and Individual with SCI
- Daniel Heumann, Motivational Speaker and Founder-Heumannly Capable and Individual with SCI
- Thomas Hoatlin, Director of Development- Ann Arbor Center for Independent Living and Individual with SCI
- Carl Hypio, President- Fraternal Order of Eagles
- Cassandra Johnson, RN, BSN, CRRN, CCM, Alpha Case Management
- Michael J. Leahy, Ph.D., LPC, CRC Professor and Director, office of Rehabilitation and Disability Studies, Michigan State University
- Peter Lichtenberg, PhD, ABPP Director, Institute of Gerontology & Merrill Palmer Skillman Institute Professor of Psychology, and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- James Magyar, Executive Director Ann Arbor Center for Independent Living
- Frederick Maynard, MD former University of Michigan faculty
- Charles A. Parkhill CEO, The Recovery Project LLC and individual with SCI
- Barbara Schoen, PhD, CRC Assistant Professor, Rehabilitation Counseling Program, University of Texas at El Paso and individual with SCI
- Marva Ways, Program Coordinator, Empowerment Peer-Support Program-RIM and individual with SCI
- Bryan Wilkinson