US CITIZENS / PERMANENT RESIDENTS:
The application deadline for 2013 admission has passed. The application for 2014 admission will open in September 2013.
All applicants must apply to PIBS through the Rackham Graduate School. You need only submit one application to be considered for any of the 14 participating Ph.D. programs.
US CITIZEN AND PERMANENT RESIDENT applicants must:
- Select two Ph.D. program/department choices, in rank order. These choices are not binding and will only be used for assignment of your application for review.
- Provide a Statement of Purpose that describes your research background, your career goals, and how Michigan's graduate program will help you meet your career and educational objectives. A detailed description of your research experience is strongly recommended. Please limit your Statement of Purpose to two pages.
- Submit a Personal Statement that describes how your background and life experiences, including cultural, geographical, financial, educational or other opportunities or challenges, motivated your decision to pursue a graduate degree at the University of Michigan. Describe any major obstacles that you had to overcome to achieve your goals. Please limit your Personal Statement to 500 words.
- Solicit three letters of recommendation from research mentors or professors who can evaluate your academic and scientific potential. These letters must be sent electronically. As you complete the Rackham Graduate School application, you will have the opportunity to electronically send invitations to professors/mentors to submit letters of recommendation.
- Provide GRE scores. Subject GRE scores are not required. [Institution Code 1839. Department code is not needed.]
- Submit an electronic transcript from all post-secondary institutions that will result in a degree.
NOTE: No materials will be accepted in hard copy. All materials must be submitted electronically.
Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency and may need to take an exam such as the TOEFL. Rackham Graduate School offers a full explanation of this requirement.
$65.00 per application.
Some applicants may be eligible for a waiver. Please visit the Rackham Graduate School website for more information on fee waivers and grants.
Need additional information?
- Check out application tips and answers to common questions in our FAQ section
- Get more application information directly from Rackham Graduate School
For any remaining questions, please call 734-647-7005 or email PIBS