Centers for Medicare and Medicare Services Demonstration Project
On April 1st the Centers for Medicare and Medicare Services (CMS) launched the Physician Group Practice (PGP) Demonstration Project focusing on improving quality of care and coordinating care between the acute and ambulatory settings. The University of Michigan Faculty Group Practice (FGP) is pleased to be one of ten institutions nationally selected to participate in this project.
The U of M program, a collaboration of its hospitals, health centers, and FGP will phase in quality measures that focus on common chronic illnesses and preventive care measures during the three-year demonstration. The new care model will include:
- Care coordination for high-risk and complex patients
- Availability of disease management programs for some patients with asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, coronary artery disease, depression, diabetes, or heart failure
- Coordinated transitional care among acute, ambulatory, and long-term care providers
- Increased access to geriatric clinics and programs for identification and treatment of high risk conditions in the elderly
According to CMS “there is good evidence that by anticipating patient needs, especially in those patients with chronic diseases, health care teams that partner with patients and coordinate across physicians can help implement physicians’ plans of care effectively, reducing the need for expensive procedures and hospitalizations for preventable complications.”
What does this mean for U of M’s Medicare patient population?
Medicare patients are automatically included in the CMS Demonstration Project.
Assistance is available for Medicare patients with:
- Chronic, high-risk, and complex medical conditions (especially if more coordinated or additional services could avert a hospitalization).
- Disease management for patients with asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, coronary artery disease, depression, diabetes, or heart failure.
Who do you contact?
Contact the UMHS Medical Management Center
Phone: (734) 764-4107
The UMHS Medical Management Center will be providing updates and additional information over the three-year term of this project. If you have questions about the CMS Demonstration Project, please e-mail MedicarePGP@med.umich.edu.