|The University of Michigan Faculty Group Practice is pleased to have been selected to participate in the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Physician Group Practice (PGP) Demonstration. Under the CMS Demonstration Project we seek to:
- Increase patient education
- Improve self-management of disease and/or chronic conditions
- Assist with care coordination
- Enhance patient support
- Improve communication between patient and care providers
There is good evidence that by anticipating patient needs, especially in those patients with chronic diseases, health care teams that partner with patients and coordinate across physicians can help implement physicians’ plans of care effectively, reducing the need for expensive procedures and hospitalizations for preventable complications. Medicare is now starting to implement performance-based payments for physicians to provide better financial support for better care.
The Physician Group Practice Demonstration is the first pay-for-performance initiative for physicians under the Medicare program. The PGP Demonstration rewards physicians for improving the quality and efficiency of health care services delivered to Medicare fee-for-service beneficiaries.
The Physician Group Practice Demonstration seeks to align incentives for physician groups to manage the overall care of their patients, especially beneficiaries with chronic illness who account for a significant proportion of Medicare expenditures.
The University of Michigan Faculty Group Practice will apply population-based medical management interventions to increase quality and improve efficiency of health care for Medicare fee-for-service beneficiaries. The new care model includes:
- care coordination for high risk and complex patients;
- disease management for patients with heart failure, coronary artery disease, diabetes, depression and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD);
- coordinated transitional care among acute, ambulatory and long-term care providers;
- increased access to geriatric clinics and programs for early identification and treatment of conditions.
In addition, the demonstration will allow the University of Michigan Faculty Group Practice to train the next generation of health care providers in new models of care.
If you have questions about your Medicare coverage call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048
If you want more information about the CMS Physician Group Practice at the University of Michigan call 1-888-485-0555 or e-mail us at MedicarePGP@med.umich.edu.
For additional information on the CMS Physician Group Practice Demonstration visit the CMS webpage at www.cms.hhs.gov/researchers/demos/PGP.asp