- Randomized, double-blind control trial involving 91 adult patients
ages 19-79 years.
- Study showed a significantly greater proportion of patients with resolved
urticaria at 2 hrs in the Ranitidine group (91.7%) compared to the placebo
group (73.8%, P=0.02, NNT=5).
- When treated earlier with ranitidine, there was a greater reduction
in patients with urticaria at 2 hrs. (Duration <12hrs: 6%, Duration
- A greater number of patients in the placebo group required additional
doses of antihistamines compared to the ranitidine group (23.3% and
- The proportion of patients without angioedema at 2 hrs did not differ
between the ranitidine and placebo groups (77.1% and 67.4%, respectively).1
- No difference in either group was seen in the proportion of patients
with urticaria at 2 hrs when Epinephrine was administered (OR no epi:
0.27, OR epi: 0.33).