- The studies were significantly heterogeneous. In addition, many
studies were not blinded. There were variations in definition
of termination of diarrhea.
- Lactobacillus appears most effective for diarrhea of rotavirus
etiology. However, now with the new rotavirus vaccine, the efficacy
of lactobacillus may not be seen.
- No significant adverse effects appear to be associated with Lactobacillus
- In a similar meta-analysis, similar effects were seen with a mean
reduction in diarrhea duration of 0.7 days (95% confidence interval:
- Cost: for Lactobacillus GG, 30 capsules (10 billion live cells
each) costs about $24-30.
H, Skorka A. Ruszczynski M. Gieruszczak-Bialek D. Meta-analysis: Lactobacillus
GG for treating acute diarrhoea in children. Alimentary Pharmacology
& Therapeutics, 2007;25:871-81.
Niel CW, Feudtner C, Garrison MM, Christakis DA. Lactobacillus
therapy for acute infectious diarrhea in children: a meta-analysis.