- Indomethacin is contraindicated in preterm neonates with necrotizing enterocolitis, thrombocytopenia, clinical bleeding, impaired renal function, or IVH.
- Based on data from 2001-2005, rates of IVH and PDA in Holden are higher than those in this meta-analysis, thus making the NNT even lower for both outcomes.
- A 1-mg vial of indomethacin costs $483 per UM pharmacy. Infants treated with prophylactic indomethacin had an average hospital cost of $95,175 vs. $99,955 in the control group.2
- Fowlie PW, Davis PG. Prophylactic intravenous indomethacin for preventing mortality and morbidity in preterm infants. Cochrane Database for Systematic Reviews 2002, Issue 3. Art. No. CD000174. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD00174.
- Rushing SB, Ment LR. Preterm birth: a cost benefit analysis. Semin Perinatol 28:444-450.