- The data in this study are consistent with expected outcomes of implementing
a hospitalist system.
- These data represent a single institution, time point, and model
- Differences were greatest with cases with longest lengths-of-stay.
- Applicability to other hospitals is very limited: control groups were
quite dissimilar (thus the number of comparison groups), and bottom
line here is only the implication for the business aspects of the hospital,
with educational issues, and patient and physician satisfaction not
- Diamond HS, et al. The effect of full-time faculty hospitalists on
the efficiency of care at a community teaching hospital. Ann
Int Med. 1998; 129(3):197-203.
- Wachter RM and Goldmann DR (eds.). The hospitalist movement
in the United States. Ann Int Med. 1998; 130(4, part 2):337-387.