- Studies done largely in white males - need better ethnic and gender
diversity in future studies.
- The study was funded by the makers of atorvastatin.
- Long term data still is pending in pediatric populations, particularly
related to evidence of decreases in morbidity and mortality in adulthood
as a result of early intervention.
- McCrindle BW, Ose L, Marais AD. Efficacy and safety of atorvastatin
in children and adolescents with familial hypercholesterolemia or severe
hyperlipidemia: a multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.
J Pediatr 2003;143:74-80.
- Behrman R et. al. ED. Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics. 17th edition,
- Berenson GS et. al. Association between multiple cardiovascular risk
factors and atherosclerosis in children and young adults. N Engl
J Med 1998; 338:1650-6.
- Li S, et. al. Childhood cCardiovascular risk factors and carotid vascular
disease in adulthood: The Bogalusa Heart Study. JAMA 2003;290:
- Wiegman A, et. al. Efficacy and safety of statin therapy in children
with familial hypercholesterolemia: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA