- Elasticity may increase incidence of more common injuries.
- Safety balls still produce VF.
- Experiment evaluating safety balls at 95mph showed no change in VF
- Although under reported, the incidence of commotio cordis is most
likely very low nevertheless. Preventative measures may not translate
practically to saved lives.
- Availability of CPR trained coaches/referees, as well as on site AED's,
may be more effective at reducing sudden cardiac death in these patients.
BJ. Sudden death in young athletes. N Engl J Med 2003:349:1064-75.
MS, Maron BJ, Wang PJ, et al. Reduced risk of sudden death from chest
wall blows (commotio cordis) with safety baseballs. Pediatrics
BJ, Link MS, Wang PJ, Estes NA 3rd. Clinical profile of commotio cordis:
an under appreciated cause of sudden death in the young during sports
and other activities. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology
J, Maron BJ, Song C, Mane P, Estes M. Failure of Commercially Available
Chest Wall Protectors to Prevent Sudden Cardiac Death Induced by Chest
Wall Blows in an Experimental Model of Commotio Cordis. Pediatrics