Congratulations to the Student Nurse Externs 2015!
Please watch for the information on 2016 program application process in mid October 2015. Thank you!
This program is only for students in the BSN track who ARE NOT currently RNs. For job opportunities please check out the Nursing Careers website at our hospital. All interview candidates have been selected.
The University of Michigan Student Nurse Extern Program is a work/study experience, which focuses on the utilization of the nursing process to meet the bio/psycho/social needs of the patient with real or potential life threatening health problems. The program consists of nine weeks of concentrated time spent on a selected unit under the direct supervision of a RN preceptor. It is a unique experience that allows BSN students to function in a nursing role in a safe and supportive environment.
The Student Nurse Extern Program offers the participants an exceptional opportunity to develop their nursing skills. The didactic portion of the program is concentrated in the first week. Students who are selected for this program must be prepared for a full 36-40 hour commitment per week (approximately 360 total hours of clinical work).
- Please confirm with your unit
- Call or email your unit to find out about the dress code
- Check the UMHS Dress policy (internal site; accessible only from UMHS campus)
- You are not required to work during the holidays (Memorial Day and Independence Day)
- If you need to request a specific day off, please check with your preceptor and Program Coordinator and consideration will be given to your request.
- You are expected to attend the entire 10 week program and to follow your preceptor's schedule.
- You may not ask to be placed with an alternate nurse so that they can work a different schedule.
Helpful Links and Phone Numbers
- Occupational Heatlh (MHealthy): 734-764-8021
- KEY ID office: 734-763-6376
- University of Michigan Parking office: 734-764-8291; email Parking Services: email@example.com
- Parking FAQ
- Parking Instructions (forthcoming) (verified with the Parking Office Manager)
- MCIT ( UH technical support including level 1 and 2 password reset): 734-936-8000 (on campus or UH please dial 6-8000)
- Payroll for check and tax questions: : 734-615-2000 or 5-2000 on campus. Choose Option 2
- UMHS Paging services: 936-4000 - paging operator assistance
- MLearning: 734-615-5146
- UM Campus Information Center
- Housing Information (short term)
- Ann Arbor Transportation Authority Bus System
- Current externs: Starting April 6, 2015, email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to Externship@med.umich.edu
- Prospective externs: Contact Externship Team (Externship@med.umich.edu)
- Mary Anne V. Brancheau, B.S.N., R.N., Educational Nurse Coordinator, Nurse Externship Program & Clinical Placement Coordinator, Professional Development & Education
- Mark Erber, M.S.N., RN, Staff Specialist, Professional Development and Education
- Irene Knokh, M.A., M.Ed., Instructional Design Consultant; Nurse Extern Program Coordinator, Professional Development & Education