Target Audience: UMHS Nursing Students and prospective externs from other schools
Author/Contact: Externship Team: Mary Anne Brancheau, Mark Erber, Irene Knokh, Betty Tecco
Webmaster: Irene Knokh
Last reviewed date: May 23, 2013
Congratulations to this year's Student Nurse Externs! Please watch for more information in the forthcoming weeks.
The University of Michigan Student Nurse Extern Program is a work/study experience, which focuses on the utilization of the nursing process to meet the bio/psycho/social needs of the patient with real or potential life threatening health problems.The program consists of ten weeks of concentrated time spent on a selected unit, under the direct supervision of a RN preceptor. It is a unique experience that allows students to function in a nursing role in a safe and supportive environment.
The Student Nurse Extern Program offers the participants an exceptional opportunity to develop their nursing skills. The didactic portion of the program is concentrated during the first two weeks of the program. Students who are selected for this program must be prepared for a full 36-40 hour commitment per week (over 360 total hours of clinical work). The 2013 Program dates are May 13th through July 19th.
Stipend: $ 4800 (1st payment: May 31, 2013, $2400; 2nd payment: June 30, 2013, $2400)
The income is taxable.
Coordinator Group Listing (Externs assigned to Mary Anne Brancheau, Mark Erber, or Betty Tecco)
Program Dates for 2013 Applicants
- Program Duration: May 13-July 19, 2013
Preceptor Information and work week
- We will let you know when we have preceptors for you.
- Expect that you may work 8, 10 or 12 hours on day, evening or night shifts.
- We may not have your schedule information until early May.
- Work schedules are posted 2 weeks before the 4 week schedule begins.
- You may wear business casual attire or your unit's scrubs for the duration of the orientation
Please note that work schedules for May 25th and beyond are NOT available until after May 10th. Please be aware that we ask ALL externs to commit exclusively to this program for its duration. You will receive your work schedule either from your preceptor (we will give you your preceptor names during orientation), or from your area coordinator during orientation.
- Please confirm with your unit; there may be specific uniform policies
- Call or email your unit to find out about the dress code
- Check the UMHS Dress policy (internal site; accessible only from UMHS campus)
- You are not required to work during the holidays (Memorial Day and Independence Day)
- If you need to have additional time off, please double check with your preceptor and coordinator
- If you need to miss a shift or reschedule, please contact your preceptor, your host unit, and Externship coordinator
Vitally Important Information:
- Occupational Heatlh (MHealthy): 734-764-8021
- KEY ID office: 734-763-6376
- University of Michigan Parking office: 734-764-8291
- MCIT ( UH technical support including level 1 and 2 password reset): 734-936-8000 (on campus or UH please dial 6-8000)
- Payroll for check and tax questions: : 734-615-2000 or 5-2000 on campus. Choose Option 2
- Paging services: 936-4000 - paging operator assistance
- Mlearning: 734-615-5146
- Smart phone users: free UM mobile apps
- Campus Information Center
- Housing Information
- Ann Arbor Transportation Authority (AATA) bus information
- Arborweb (everything Ann Arbor)
- Contact Externship Team (Externship@med.umich.edu)
- Mary Anne V. Brancheau, B.S.N., R.N., Educational Nurse Coordinator, Nurse Externship Program & Clinical Placement Coordinator, Professional Development & Education
- Mark Erber, M.S.N., RN, Staff Specialist, Professional Development and Education
- Irene Knokh, M.A., M.Ed., Instructional Design Consultant, Nurse Extern Program and Professional Development & Education
- Betty Tecco, M.S.N., R.N., Externship Program Coordinator, Retired Lecturer, UM School of Nursing