This program is only for students in the BSN track who ARE NOT currently RNs. For job opportunities please check out the Nursing Careers website at our hospital. Thank you to everyone who applied this year. The application closed at 5pm Eastern Time December 5th, 2014. We will notify applicants who advance to the interview stage by the end of January.
Program Dates: Monday, May 18th, 2015-Friday, July 24th, 2015
Stipend: $4800 ($2400 paid at the end of May and $2400 paid at the end of June)
2015 Program Interview Dates:
Interviews will be on site in 300 North Ingalls, room 6B06, 6th floor, Ann Arbor, MI 48109. You will meet in person with program coordinators and unit representatives. The interview dates cannot be changed.
- Adult ICU Interviews: Friday, February 13, 2015
- Adult Med Surg Interviews: Friday, February 20, 2015
- Pediatric Interviews: Friday, February 27, 2015
The University of Michigan Student Nurse Extern Program is a work/study experience, which focuses on the utilization of the nursing process to meet the bio/psycho/social needs of the patient with real or potential life threatening health problems. The program consists of nine weeks of concentrated time spent on a selected unit under the direct supervision of a RN preceptor. It is a unique experience that allows BSN students to function in a nursing role in a safe and supportive environment.
The Student Nurse Extern Program offers the participants an exceptional opportunity to develop their nursing skills. The didactic portion of the program is concentrated in the first week. Students who are selected for this program must be prepared for a full 36-40 hour commitment per week (approximately 360 total hours of clinical work).
- Please confirm with your unit
- Call or email your unit to find out about the dress code
- Check the UMHS Dress policy (internal site; accessible only from UMHS campus)
- You are not required to work during the holidays (Memorial Day and Independence Day)
- If you need to request a specific day off, please check with your preceptor and Program Coordinator and consideration will be given to your request.
- You are expected to attend the entire 10 week program and to follow your preceptor's schedule.
Helpful Links and Phone Numbers
- Occupational Heatlh (MHealthy): 734-764-8021
- KEY ID office: 734-763-6376
- University of Michigan Parking office: 734-764-8291
- MCIT ( UH technical support including level 1 and 2 password reset): 734-936-8000 (on campus or UH please dial 6-8000)
- Payroll for check and tax questions: : 734-615-2000 or 5-2000 on campus. Choose Option 2
- UMHS Paging services: 936-4000 - paging operator assistance
- MLearning: 734-615-5146
- UM Campus Information Center
- Housing Information
- Ann Arbor Transportation Authority Bus System
- Contact Externship Team (Externship@med.umich.edu)
- Mary Anne V. Brancheau, B.S.N., R.N., Educational Nurse Coordinator, Nurse Externship Program & Clinical Placement Coordinator, Professional Development & Education
- Mark Erber, M.S.N., RN, Staff Specialist, Professional Development and Education
- Irene Knokh, M.A., M.Ed., Instructional Design Consultant; Nurse Extern Program Coordinator, Professional Development & Education