UMHS BSN Student Nurse Extern Program
Info for incoming 2016 Extern Applicants
This program is only for students in a traditional BSN track. For job opportunities please check out the Nursing Careers website. This year's program application is CLOSED. Please contact us in mid October 2016 for more information on the 2017 application.
Program Dates for 2016 (mandatory attendance): Monday, May 16-Friday, July 22
Interviews in person with selected candidates:
- February 12-Adult ICU
- February 19-Adult MedSurg
- February 26-Pediatrics
- Externs must commit to all program and orientation dates. .
- Externs must follow their preceptor's work schedule.
- You will not know your work schedule or who are your assigned preceptors till the week of May 16th, 2016.
- Please do not ask the units to adjust your schedules. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- Email Mark Erber if you have any questions.
Program requirements: review everything before submission.
- Current enrollment in a BSN nursing program with the goal of becoming a RN
- Graduation date: December 2016 or Spring 2017 graduation
- Completion of junior level clinical requirements
- Completion of a minimum of three (3) clinical rotations by program start date (May 2016)
- Students with an interest in a Pediatric placement: completion of at least one clinical experience in a pediatric acute care hospital setting
- An overall 3.0 GPA or higher (we don't need your Fall 2015 grades)
- Clearly readable unoffical transcript
- Two recommendation forms from nursing faculty. ONE (1) of the forms must be from a clinical instructor
- Professional Statement of Interest
Line up your faculty references in advance and have a back up reference if needed.
- Adult Critical Care
- Adult Medical Surgical
- Pediatric Critical Care
- Pediatric Medical Surgical
- Mary Anne V. Brancheau, B.S.N., R.N-BC., Educational Nurse Coordinator, Nurse Externship Program & Clinical Placement Coordinator, Professional Development & Education
- Mark Erber, M.S.N., RN, Staff Specialist, Professional Development and Education
- Irene Knokh, M.A., M.Ed., Instructional Design Consultant; Nurse Extern Program Coordinator, Professional Development & Education