UMHS BSN Student Nurse Extern Program
Nursing Careers website.
Info for incoming 2016 Extern Applicants
- Opens: November 9, 2015, 9AM Eastern Time
- Closes: December 7, 2015, 5PM Eastern Time
Program Dates for 2016: Monday, May 16-Friday, July 22
Interviews in person: 2016
- February 12-Adult ICU
- February 19-Adult MedSurg
- February 26-Pediatrics
- Externs must commit to all program and orientation dates. .
- Externs must follow their preceptor's work schedule.
- You will not know your work schedule or who are your assigned preceptors till the week of May 16th, 2016.
- Please do not ask the units to adjust your schedules. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- Email Mark Erber if you have any questions.
Program requirements: review everything before submission.
- Current enrollment in a BSN nursing program with the goal of becoming a RN
- Graduation date: December 2016 or Spring 2017 graduation
- Completion of junior level clinical requirements
- Completion of a minimum of three (3) clinical rotations by program start date (May 2016)
- Students with an interest in a Pediatric placement: completion of at least one clinical experience in a pediatric acute care hospital setting
- An overall 3.0 GPA or higher (we don't need your Fall 2015 grades)
- Clearly readable unoffical transcript
- Two recommendation forms from nursing faculty. ONE (1) of the forms must be from a clinical instructor
- Professional Statement of Interest
Line up your faculty references in advance and have a back up reference if needed.
- Adult Critical Care
- Adult Medical Surgical
- Pediatric Critical Care
- Pediatric Medical Surgical
- Mary Anne V. Brancheau, B.S.N., R.N-BC., Educational Nurse Coordinator, Nurse Externship Program & Clinical Placement Coordinator, Professional Development & Education
- Mark Erber, M.S.N., RN, Staff Specialist, Professional Development and Education
- Irene Knokh, M.A., M.Ed., Instructional Design Consultant; Nurse Extern Program Coordinator, Professional Development & Education