UMHS BSN Student Nurse Extern Program
Info for incoming 2015 Extern Applicants
Congratulations to the Summer Student Nurse Externs 2015!
We selected our participants for this year. Please watch for the information on Summer 2016 program in mid-October 2015.
This program is only for students in the BSN track who ARE NOT currently RNs. For job opportunities please check out the Nursing Careers website at our hospital.
Externship 2015 Program Dates:
Monday, May 18, 2015-Friday, July 24, 2015
- Students MUST commit to all program and orientation dates if they are selected.
- There are NO exceptions to this rule.
Program requirements: please review all the requirements carefully before submitting your application!
- Current enrollment in a BSN nursing program with the goal of becoming a RN
- Graduation date: May 2016 or December 2015
- Status: within 1 year of graduating from the nursing program
- Completion of junior level clinical requirements
- Completion of a minimum of three (3) clinical rotations by program start date
- You MUST complete Pediatric rotations in order to choose Birth Center
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or higher (we DO NOT require Fall 2014 grades)
- Clearly readable unoffical transcript
- Two recommendation forms from nursing faculty. ONE (1) of the forms MUST be from your clinical instructor
- Students with an interest in a Pediatric placement: completion of at least one clinical experience in a pediatric acute care hospital setting
- Professional Statement of Interest
Line up your faculty references in advance! Make sure that you have a BACK UP faculty reference if needed.
Program Areas:BSN clinical care areas
- Adult Critical Care
- Adult Medical Surgical
- Pediatric Critical Care
- Pediatric Medical Surgical
- Birth Center
- Mary Anne V. Brancheau, B.S.N., R.N., Educational Nurse Coordinator, Nurse Externship Program & Clinical Placement Coordinator, Professional Development & Education
- Mark Erber, M.S.N., RN, Staff Specialist, Professional Development and Education
- Irene Knokh, M.A., M.Ed., Instructional Design Consultant; Nurse Extern Program Coordinator, Professional Development & Education