MiShare is a secure collaborative file transfer system provided by MCIT. The MiShare infrastructure provides a method approved by the UMHS Compliance Office for UMHS personnel, non-UMHS business partners, and researchers to securely transfer files, including files that contain electronic Protected Health Information (ePHI), protected research data, or other sensitive information. Files are encrypted while being uploaded or downloaded, and are encrypted while they are on the MiShare server.
- With a web browser, go to the following link: https://mishare.med.umich.edu.
- The MiShare page will appear. Note the Security Notice on the right side of the screen before proceeding.
- UMHS Personnel should authenticate in the Level-2 Sign On area using a UM uniqname and Level-2 Password. Click the Sign On button.
- After authentication, the MiShare Home screen will appear. If it is the first time you have accessed the system from the computer that you are on, and it is not a CoreImage managed system, you may be prompted to install the upload/download wizard. If so, you can choose to install it or not. Similar to accessing an email account, the Home screen lists the packages that have been sent and received. If someone has sent you a package, you may view the package and download the files that it contains. You may also click on the package, and click on the name of the uploaded files to access the log that will indicate the date and time the file was sent and whether the file integrity was checked. If it indicates that the integrity was not checked, that means that the person sending the file was not using the upload/download wizard.
Sending a Package
- After accessing MiShare, at the bottom of the MiShare Home screen, click the Send a new package... link.
- The first time the link is clicked, a screen may appear recommending the installation of the Upload/Download Wizard applet. Using the Wizard has a number of advantages over not using it and the Wizard only needs to be installed once in the browser. Once the Wizard is installed, it will automatically be used for all future transfers.
- To install the Wizard, click the Install the Upload/Download Wizard link and follow the provided instructions. Internet Explorer users should install the ActiveX applet; other browsers will install the Java applet. Once the Wizard installs, proceed to the next step.
- To elect to never use the Wizard permanently, click the Disable the Wizard link.
- To avoid using the Wizard for a single session, click the Disable the Wizard for this session only link.
Even if disabled, the Wizard can always be installed at a later date.
- Once the New Package screen loads, type the email address of the person you want to send the package to in the (To:_ field. Multiple addresses can be separated by commas.
- Provide a Subject and Note to accompany the link for the package. This information allows the recipient to identify the package contents. Then, upload the files to the package.
- Using the Upload/Download Wizard
- Click to laungh the Upload/Download Wizard
- Click the Add File button to select the files you want to add, or drag and drop them into the wizard window
- Click Next, select if you want the wizard to put all files you selected into a single .zip file, and click Next to upload the file(s).
- If the Wizard is disabled:
- In the Files section, click the Choose File button.
- In the new window, locate the file to attach and click the Choose button. The file will upload and appear in the list.
- To add additional files, click the Add another file link and then click the new Choose File button for each additional file.
- Once the files have been added to the package, click the Send button.
- When the package is sent, the MiShare Packages screen will appear. The newly sent package is available in the Sent mailbox.
The designated recipient(s) will receive an email message with a Subject of "A new MiShare package has been sent to you". Within the message, the recipient will see the Subject provided for the package and a link to access it.
If the designated recipient has not recently been sent a package, and the recipient is not another UMHS person, they will also receive an email indicating a New User Account for MiShare was created using the recipient's email address. The email contains the sign on credentials to use to access the MiShare system and the package. They will be required to change their password to one of their own creation upon first login.
Receiving a Package
When a package is sent to a UMHS individual, the designated recipient receives an email message from "email address via MiShare...", where the email address is that of the sender, with a Subject of "A new MiShare package has been sent to you". Within the message, the Subject provided for the package will be displayed with a link to access the package.
- Click the link in the "New Package" email. A web browser will open and load the MiShare page. The recipient's U-M uniqname will automatically be entered into the Username field of the Level-2 Sign On area.
- In the Password field, enter the Level-2 password associated with the uniqname and click the Sign On button.
- The browser window will display the package information. Click the Download button to download the file to the local machine. Some file types, especially PDF files, may open directly in the browser; in these cases, return to the previous screen, right-click the Download button, and select the option to save the linked file.
Alternatively, when an individual logs directly into MiShare (https://mishare.med.umich.edu), all received packages will be listed by the provided Subject under the Inbox on the individual's MiShare Home screen.
Resetting your Password
If you click on the link on the bottom of the page at http://mishare.med.umich.edu to Request a password change, you will be taken to a page to enter your email address. If you do that, and request a password change, you will be sent an email indicating that the request was denied. Level-2 passwords cannot be changed through this system.
If you need to change your Level-2 password, go to the self-service password reset page at https://idm.med.umich.edu/level-2. You may also call the MCIT Service Desk at 734-936-8000 if you need assistance.
If you require assistance, please call the MCIT Service Desk at 734-936-8000.