Smartphone and Handheld Purchasing Guide
Many students have asked for information about purchasing handheld devices, especially
for the M3 year. This is a short list of suggestions, collected from the Class
of 2014 students on what works for them during the clinical rotations. There
is a lot of good commentary and wisdom on the full questionnaire results: Click
In April 2013, M3's were asked "What handheld technology do you feel has
been helpful for you during your M3 year, if any?" There were 32 respondents.
- Smartphones are considered Absolutely Necessary by a majority of M3 students
- Laptops are considered Absolutely Necessary by a majority of students
- Tablets are considered Optional by a majority of students
- 3 necessary, 25 optional
- iPad use is mixed, but iPad mini is recommended over iPad for portability
- Android/Windows tablets are used, but are not as common as iPad
- Desktop computers are considered Optional by a majority of students 2 necessary, 23 optional Desktop computers in LRC are available 24-7
Comments from M3ís
"Don't buy a bunch of stuff... wait till you know what you want."
Contact the LRC Help Desk at 734-936-2239 or firstname.lastname@example.org.