University of Michigan Medical School
Visiting Students Program
The University of Michigan Medical School (UMMS) offers a maximum of two (2) clinical elective rotations (8 weeks total) to students who are currently enrolled in their fourth or final year of (a) an M.D. program at a U.S. LCME-accredited school, or (b) a D.O. program at one of our participating AACOA-member, COCA-accredited schools.*
UMMS only accepts visiting student applications submitted via VSAS, the AAMC’s Visiting Student Application Service: https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/vsas. Applications are accepted for the coming academic year starting in early April. For exact dates and application requirements, please visit our official VSAS Institution Information site: https://services.aamc.org/20/vsas/public/school/instID/145
Electives are not available to visiting students during the months of May and June. Research electives are not allowed. Students may participate in a maximum of two (2) electives (2 periods total) according to the dates aligning with our academic calendar: http://www.med.umich.edu/medstudents/curRes/clinCal/. Only the electives listed on the following webpage are available to visiting students: http://med.umich.edu/medschool/visiting/electives.html. As the site indicates, not all electives listed are available to osteopathic students.
Please email your questions or concerns to:
Elvira M. Skuzinski
Visiting Students Coordinator
Office of Medical Student Education
* Please refer to the list below of the osteopathic schools participating in our Visiting Students Program
Students attending international medical schools are generally not accepted for electives at UMMS. For a determination of possible eligibility, international students may contact Carrie Ashton at email@example.com in UMMS’s Global REACH office. International students whose applications have not been screened for eligibility by the Global REACH office will not be accepted.
Under no circumstances shall a student from another school make independent arrangements with a faculty or staff member for an elective prior to submitting an application to VSAS or Global REACH for processing. All inquiries regarding elective opportunities MUST be initiated with either Elvira Skuzinski (VSAS) or Carrie Ashton (international students/Global REACH).
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A CLINICAL ELECTIVE, visiting student applicants must:
- be enrolled in their final year of medical or osteopathic school**
- be in good academic and professional standing at their home school
- have taken and passed the USMLE Step 1 exam (M.D.) or COMLEX-USA Level 1 exam (D.O.)
- have taken and passed required M3 rotations in Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics and Surgery by the date of their requested elective
- have completed 48 weeks of required rotations in the same school at which they completed their basic science (M1 and M2) training
- meet requirements and prerequisites of requested elective(s)
**UMMS will ONLY accept applications from the following osteopathic schools:
- A.T. Still University: Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences: College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Midwestern University: Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Michigan State University: College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Students attending a Canadian medical school should click on the “Application and Instructions for Canadian Students” link on this webpage for more information.