Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NRTIs) work by being incorporated into the viral DNA, making it ineffective.
Zerit (D4T, stavudine)
1 X 40mg capsule twice per day
Side Effects to report to your doctor immediately
- Numbness, tingling or burning in the soles of your feet or in your fingers and hands
- Abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting
Drug Interactions and Incompatibility
- Use with caution with other drugs that can cause peripheral neuropathy
- Other medications may interact with D4T, therefore notify your doctor of all medicines you are currently taking before starting D4T
**Drugs in this class most notably Zerit, have been associated with a condition known as Lactic Acidosis. Notify your doctor of any of the following symptoms:
- Muscle pain and weakness (weakness is progressive and worsens over time)
- Worsening nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain
- Worsening numbness or tingling in the hands and feet
All of your Antiviral Medications must be taken exactly as prescribed, without skipping or altering doses. Please notify you doctor if you have any problems with these or any of your medicines.