Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NRTIs) work by being incorporated into the viral DNA, making it ineffective.
Videx EC (ddI, Didanosine)
Supplied in 400mg, 250mg and 200mg capsules
Videx EC: 1 X 400mg capsule once daily*
*Dose may be reduced when taking with Viread (tenofovir)
Take on an empty stomach ½ hour before or 1-2 hours after a meal. Take with at least 4 oz. Water. Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after other medications.
Side Effects to report to your doctor immediately
- Dry mouth or altered taste
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea or vomiting
- Numbness, tingling or burning in the soles of your feet or in your hands or fingers
Drug Interactions and Incompatibility
- Pentamidine may increase the risk of pancreatitis
- Do not take at the same time as Dapsone or ketoconazole
- Other medicines may interact with ddI, therefore notify your doctor of all medications you are currently taking before starting ddI.
All of your Antiviral Medications must be taken exactly as prescribed, without skipping or altering doses. Please notify you doctor if you have any problems with these or any of your medicines.