Protease Inhibitors stop HIV replication by preventing the enzyme protease from cutting the virus into shorter pieces that it needs to make copies of itself in newly infected cells. New copies are still made but they are defective and not completely formed so they can't infect other cells.
150mg and 200mg capsules
2 X 200mg capsules once daily or 2 X 150mg capsule once daily (when used with Norvir)
May take with food.
Take at the same time each day
Side Effects to report to your doctor immediately
- Increased bilirubin in blood which can result in a yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
- Nausea / vomiting / diarrhea
- Changes in heart rhythm (notify your doctor if you have dizziness, heart palpitations or a "fluttering in the chest")
- Tingling in the hands or feet
Drug Interactions and Incompatibility
- Dosing may need to be adjusted when taking with other medications
- Notify your doctor if you are taking Viagra, St. John's Wort, or other herbs or supplements
For more information on Reyataz click here.