Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NRTIs) work by being incorporated into the viral DNA, making it ineffective.
AZT (Retrovir, zidovudine)
1 X 300mg tablet twice per day
Take with meals to decrease nausea
Side Effects to report to your doctor immediately
- Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea
- Fatigue or weakness
- Nasal symptoms (runny nose or cold symptoms)
- Anemia (will cause you to feel tired, easily fatigued, or weak)
- Abdominal pain
Drug Interactions and Incompatibility
- d4T will decrease the effectiveness of AZT
- Other medications may be incompatible with AZT, therefore notify your doctor of all the medications you are currently taking before starting AZT
- Important to keep appointments for blood draws to monitor blood counts
All of your Antiviral Medications must be taken exactly as prescribed, without skipping or altering doses. Please notify you doctor if you have any problems with these or any of your medicines.